Finding Maximum/Minimum fraction between two columns

kiwi44

Hi all!

I currently have two columns, each with fractions in them. They are visual acuities for the right eye and the left eye (the fraction that shows how good someone can see in each eye...e.g., 20/20, 20/10, etc.). I am trying to find a way to enter the maximum between the two cells into a third column, and the minimum into a a fourth column. In other words, I want to get the following results from A1 and B1:

A1 = 20/30 , B1 = 20/70, C1 = 20/30, D1 = 20/30

I tried using this formula: =MAX(A1,B1), but it is not working. I have about 1500 rows to do this for, so I'd appreciate any help! Thanks =)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
What do you want your answer to be for cell C1?
What do you want your answer to be for cell D1?

B/c you say you want the maximum in C1, and minimum in D1, but both have the same answer?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi kiwi,

Please test the below before using. Thanks.

C1:

Code:
=IF((LEFT($A1,2)/RIGHT($A1,2))>(LEFT($B1,2)/RIGHT($B1,2)),$A1,$B1)

D1:

Code:
=IF((LEFT($A1,2)/RIGHT($A1,2))<(LEFT($B1,2)/RIGHT($B1,2)),$A1,$B1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perfect, thanks so much. Just one question. I used A1/B1 for simplicities sake. My column headers are actually there, so this will be starting in A2. Every time you have ($A1,2) written, would that become ($A2,2)?

Upvote 0
Actually, this formula also isn't working for all the values.

For instance, in a row with 20/100 in both cells, the "C1" formula give an error of "#DIV/0!"

In another case, in a row with A1 = 20/20, B = 20/25, the "C1" formula gives 20/25, which is the not maximum.

Upvote 0
Hi kiwi,

Well, first off I have a question for you that I forgot to ask the first time around...

... Will all of your criteria be two numbers then a division sign and then another two numbers... In other words, will you ever have have something like 1/05 or 111/55 or 1/180 or 5/4, if so, then we'll need to adjust your formula. Because The current formula works only if your numbers will always be two numbers and then a division sign and then another two numbers (ex: 20/30 or 40/50, it WON'T work for 2/30 or 40/5). So, we should probably sort that out first, perhaps it's not an issue...

Regarding your follow up question. If your column headers are there, then in cell C2 put

Code:
=IF((LEFT($A2,2)/RIGHT($A2,2))>(LEFT($B2,2)/RIGHT($B2,2)),$A2,$B2)

and in cell D2 put

Code:
=IF((LEFT($A2,2)/RIGHT($A2,2))<(LEFT($B2,2)/RIGHT($B2,2)),$A2,$B2)

Upvote 0
The numerator will always be 20. The denominator will either be 2 or 3 digits, depending on the cell. E.g., 20/30 or 20/400.

I ended up doing that for the formula, but I'm still having the same problems that I mentioned with my second follow up post:

"For instance, in a row with 20/100 in both cells, the "C1" formula give an error of "#DIV/0!"

In another case, in a row with A1 = 20/20, B = 20/25, the "C1" formula gives 20/25, which is the not maximum."

Upvote 0
Hi kiwi,

Ok. I'm going to bed now and will check your results tomorrow, but try the below. Hope this helps (please test the formula, I'm very sleepy!).

C2:

Code:
=IF((20/RIGHT($A2,LEN($A2)-SEARCH("/",$A2)))>(20/RIGHT($B2,LEN($B2)-SEARCH("/",$B2))),$A2,$B2)

D2:

Code:
=IF((20/RIGHT($A2,LEN($A2)-SEARCH("/",$A2)))<(20/RIGHT($B2,LEN($B2)-SEARCH("/",$B2))),$A2,$B2)

Upvote 0
Hi kiwi,

Unless someone has a better idea, then perhaps the below is a bit more concise?

C2:

Code:
=IF((20/MID($A2,4,3))>(20/MID($B2,4,3)),$A2,$B2)

D2:

Code:
=IF((20/MID($A2,4,3))<(20/MID($B2,4,3)),$A2,$B2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back