Print and Save to specific folder indicated by cel in worksheet.

WERNER SLABBERT

Board Regular
Morning all you smart people...
i have a vba code that saves and prints a document to a folder. i would like to expand it somewhat to ref a cell and then save the doc to the right folder.
currently it just saves to one folder. i need it to look at 'B9' and the find the corresponding folder and if it does not exist create it. the save the doc with the data from two other cells. 'G11 & C11'
the data in "B9' changes to the user need from a drop down from " Quote , Invoice , Job Card & Statement ", G11 & C11 respectively are the customer name and document nr.

Code:
Sub PrintSave()On Error Resume Next 'In case it already exists
MkDir GetSpecialfolder(CSIDL_DESKTOP) & "\Quotes"

ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True, _
        IgnorePrintAreas:=False
    Dim Filename As String
    Dim Path As String
    Filename = Range("L1").Value
    Path = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").specialfolders("Desktop")
    ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:= _
        Path & "\Quotes\" & Filename & ".Pdf", Quality:= _
        xlQualityMinimum, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _
        OpenAfterPublish:=False
End Sub

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Code:
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] PrintSave()

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] strPath [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color], strFileName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]

strPath = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\" & Range("B9").Value & "\"
    [color=darkblue]If[/color] Dir(strPath, vbDirectory) = "" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] MkDir strPath

strFileName = Range("G11").Value & Range("C11").Value

ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=[color=darkblue]False[/color]

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, _
                                    Filename:=strPath & strFileName & ".pdf", _
                                    Quality:=xlQualityMinimum, _
                                    IncludeDocProperties:=True, _
                                    IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _
                                    OpenAfterPublish:=[color=darkblue]False[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0
There is a reason you're called MVP. thanx a whole heap it works hundreds...:ROFLMAO:

Just one more random question, how can i generate random doc numbers on open. but as not to have them repeat on me...?

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] PrintSave()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] strPath [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR], strFileName [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]

strPath = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\" & Range("B9").Value & "\"
    [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Dir(strPath, vbDirectory) = "" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] MkDir strPath

ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=[COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]

OpenAfterPublish:=[COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Using this formula to generate doc numbers but its not working exactly like i want, might generate duplicate numbers. any way to fix it a little?

Code:
=IF(B9=O4,"QUO"&10&(YEAR(C12)++M36)&SECOND(N2),IF(B9=O5,"INV"&10&(YEAR(C12)++M36)&SECOND(N2),IF(B9=O6,"JC"&10&(YEAR(C12)++M36)&SECOND(N2),IF(B9=O8,"STA"&10&(YEAR(C12)++M36)&SECOND(N2),""))))

Upvote 0
This uses the current date-time to generate a unique number

=TEXT(NOW(),"yyyymmddhhmmss")

Upvote 0
Would it be possible for the code to create a sub folder in the current folder according to data in G11 ?

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] PrintSave()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] strPath [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR], strFileName [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] Dir(strPath, vbDirectory) = "" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR] MkDir strPath

ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=[COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]

OpenAfterPublish:=[COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
i don't know what that means.

it means that the code you provided me with creates a folder on the desktop according to the doc type, eg: invoice, quote etc. and saves the PDF to that folder using data in Cell "G11 & B9" ( modified that a little ) now to take it one step further and create a sub folder in the respective folder with a client name which is located in cell "G11"
so to clarify:what i would like to achieve if i do and quote for john smith the macro would firstly check for the folder \Quote on the desktop and then for \quote\John Smith\ and if sub folder " John Smith" does not exist create it and save the PDF there
also how can i "cut" the print function out of the macro so it does not print to a physical printer only saves the PDF copy to the desktop folders?

thank you for the help so far in this matter.

Upvote 0
Code:
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] SaveAsPDF()

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] strPath [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color], strFileName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]

[color=darkblue]If[/color] Dir(strPath, vbDirectory) = "" [color=darkblue]Then[/color] MkDir strPath

strPath = strPath & Range("G11").Value & "\"

OpenAfterPublish:=[color=darkblue]False[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back