VBasic - command buttons stopped working

RogerThePerson

I have a Mastermind game sheet that uses many command buttons. After several YEARS(!), it suddenly stopped working.
I'm using Excel 2010 at the office but the workbook is saved as Excel 97-2003 for compatibility with my home PC (this has worked fine for years).
The buttons are all enabled and are seen to respond, but none of them work - the code just doesn't run.
I have tried disabling subroutines one at a time, by converting each line to a comment.
I tried adding a new command button to do a simple task but the new button also fails to do anything.

Any ideas?

Macro security settings are application wide, but it is possible you disabled macros for that workbook when you opened it. Can you run any of the code manually from the VB Editor?
No - putting the cursor in the first line of a subroutine and pressing F8 (Step Into), I get 'Run-Time Error 32809 - Application-defined or object-defined error'.
On a different workbook, I can step through a macro this way and see results on screen.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I have only seen that error number caused by the ActiveX bug I mentioned before.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention that I tried deleting the *.exd file again just in case it worked, but no luck.
At work, I am not allowed to try anything more drastic such as installing patches, but will look into this further at home tonight.
Signing off for now, thanks for taking the time!

Upvote 0
The problem is that if the file was created or saved on a computer with a mismatched version of the MSForms controls, it will not work on a computer with a different version, even if you remove the .exd files. That is one reason I would suggest that, unless you absolutely require ActiveX conbtrols, it is better to use the Form versions.

Upvote 0
Macro security settings are application wide, but it is possible you disabled macros for that workbook when you opened it. Can you run any of the code manually from the VB Editor?
FIXED IT!! - I saved the file as a 'macro-enabled' version (*.xlsm). I then shut down Excel and then re-opened it. Most buttons (but NOT ALL - weird!) had now lost their names, which were replaced with default names. I laboriously restored the correct names, and all is now OK! (All buttons are ActiveX types.) The End.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you got it fixed but I would still suggest replacing them with Form controls. Otherwise this will almost certainly happen again at some point following another update...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fyfe54

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back