How do I remove everything after the hyphen when the hyphen is sometimes the second hyphen?

kesposito

We use a third party vendor to store and access our data. When running one key report it used to turn out a field of company names. We have a excel report that looks for their names in reports and counts them.

Some of the names are BRCM, Community Resource Center, or Hemingwey's Place. But some have hyphens in the name like BR-Corp or NJ-State, which is alright because we set up the report to count them.

Now the vendor has revamped their site and now that field produces both the company name and the contact name.
So now the fields comes out as BCRM - Margaret Jones or BR-CORP - Sam Johnson.

I can run a formula to get rid of the hyphen and everything after the hyphen but that would eliminate everything after the hyphen in name that naturally have the hyphen.

So I would get BCRM AND BC, when I need BCRM and BR-CORP

Other than yelling at my vendor, is there a formula to remove the hyphen and everything after only after a certain point and preserve entries where the hyphen should be there?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Try this formula

=LEFT(A1,LOOKUP(2,1/(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)="-"),
ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))-1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the format always a space, hyphen then space before the contact name?

If it is maybe try something like:

=LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" - ",A2)-1)

I can still see you may get the odd error with company names having spaces and hyphens - guess it depends how large of a report it is that will decide if you need it to catch all the scenarios or if the odd mismatch can be picked out manually.

Upvote 0
Is the format always a space, hyphen then space before the contact name?

If it is maybe try something like:

=LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" - ",A2)-1)

I can still see you may get the odd error with company names having spaces and hyphens - guess it depends how large of a report it is that will decide if you need it to catch all the scenarios or if the odd mismatch can be picked out manually.

That worked. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmeEnne1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back