Cursor keeps highlighting and won't let me select

aflatrock

As soon as I put the cusor on the spreadsheet it highlights wherever I move the cursor and won't stop. I have to press ctrl alt del to get out of excel. When I restart it will let me highlight the menu bar, but it does the same thing again when I click the cursor in the worksheet. I have restarted my computer and the program a hundred times....well so it seems! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much :rolleyes: :oops: :oops: .

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Welcome to the Board!

Crummy way to spend your morning. :unsure:

Try hitting F8. Either that or your CTRL or SHIFT key may be stuck.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the reply..i really appreciate it...It still isn't happy....what does the F8 button do? Microsoft help doesn't list anything. My shift and CTRL key don't seem to be locked. I read about the F8 button earlier, tried it, and then tried it again with your suggestion. I have pushed it before selecting with the mouse and then while selecting with the mouse..Neither work..... am I doing it wrong?? :cry: :rolleyes: :cry:

Upvote 0
Hmmm...I'm kind of at a loss as I've never experienced your problem. I'll look around.

F8 mimics holding the SHIFT key and using the arrow keys in that it allows you to multi-select ranges with the mouse without holding the left button down, but just clicking it.

Smitty

Upvote 0
When I select a cell it will only allow me to select it once. And then it highlights wherever I drag the cell. It will not allow me to deselect and move to a new cell. It won't allow me to go to the menu bar. This is when I have to restart. :confused:

Upvote 0
I have let my computer have a rest, turned it off for awhile. :eek: Excel still won't let me input or do anything except to highlight.....I think I have pushed some lock somewhere to make it do this....anyone got any ideas.....

Upvote 0
is your mouse wireless by any chance? what happens when you move around using the keyboard (arrow keys)

Upvote 0
(y) ok something worked i don't know what...but I turned the computer off and on again for the billionth time and now the problem is gone. Nope my mouse isnt wireless. I could click on a cell and then highlight in any direction I moved the mouse around this cell. The arrow keys wouldn't work. Puzzler.

I still would like to know what might cause this. Thanks to you all for the feedback...I felt so alone and frusterated without answers. (y) cheers to you.

Upvote 0
I've had something similar happen to me.... but I always blamed it on my mouse...clicking around (trying to unstick whatever) usually fixed it....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back