Formula to Calculate a Total IF a cell is Blank

lzweifel

Board Regular
Hello All,

I am looking for a formula to calculate the totals of one column IF the cell of another is empty.

I have a table set up to calculate days from Invoice Date to the date those invoices are paid... Column C has the amount of the invoice, Column E has the date in which it was paid. What I am looking for is a total running of the amount in Column C but only those invoices which have not yet been paid, in which case Column E would still be blank.

COLUMN B COLUMN C COLUMN E COLUMN F

Invoice 1 $ 50.00 $250.00
Invoice 2 $150.00 09-12-16
Invoice 3 $200.00

In this example my formula would be in Column F and calculating the invoice which have not been paid (Invoice 1 and 3) If I was to add Invoice 4 for $100 Column F would than re-calculate to $350.00

Thank you so much in advance, always, always appreciate your help!!

L

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Maybe:

ABCDEF
1Invoice Amount PaidUnpaid invoices
2Invoice 1 $ 50.00 $ 250.00
3Invoice 2 $ 150.00 12-Sep
4Invoice 3 $ 200.00

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
F2=SUMIF(E:E,"=",C:C)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Eric... that worked great. The "=" in your formula.... does that refer to the blank cell... that was the part I couldn't figure out!

Upvote 0
Yes, that is a bit confusing! Normally, that parameter would have the condition that you're looking for, like "=5" if you're looking for cells that equal 5. Or if you're looking for a particular date, something like "="&DATE(2016,9,19) would work, where the & is the concatenation operator. So if you're looking for an empty cell, logically "="&"" would be the equivalent. But according to Excel's rules for concatenation "="&"" just evaluates to "=", so that's all you need. You can certainly put in "="&"" if that makes more sense to you.

Glad to help! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back