Can I get a Sum From All Values in a column that have a specific value in the column next to them?

Gryrok

So, I'd like to have a list of transactions, and have each transaction be labeled something. Next to this list I'd like to have a total value of each transaction with a specific label. Like, if we were totally an amount spend on an event, we could say "$5" "Promotions" and "$10" "Services" etc. etc., and in the table next to that, it would, in a single cell, add the total value assigned each label, like it shows below.

What would I put in the cell shown below to get the total value of everything labeled A?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I apologize if this has been asked/answered, I tried searching for it, but I just don't know how to look or what to call it.

dateitemvalueTotal Values Based on Item
1-SepA1AHOW DO I GET THIS CELL?
2-SepC2B
3-SepD1C
4-SepA2D
1-SepB3E
2-SepE4
3-SepC3
4-SepD1
1-SepC2
2-SepA2
3-SepC1
4-SepA2

<tbody>
</tbody>

It looks like we all have missed the above.

Gryrok,

Can we see what other $ values, and, text, that go with the other etc.'s?

The Etc. were referring to more "Items" which could have been, for example, "Entertainment" "Donations" "Cleaning", or the like. In the sample sheet the Etc.'s are shown as D,E & F, but of course there is no realistic limit here, it could go well past Z into the AA's and beyond.

You all nailed it with the =Sumif(). I'll have to checkout =sumproduct() to see how that might be useful.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
The Etc. were referring to more "Items" which could have been, for example, "Entertainment" "Donations" "Cleaning", or the like. In the sample sheet the Etc.'s are shown as D,E & F, but of course there is no realistic limit here, it could go well past Z into the AA's and beyond.

You all nailed it with the =Sumif(). I'll have to checkout =sumproduct() to see how that might be useful.

Thanks again!

Gryrok,

Thanks for the feedback.

You are very welcome. Glad we could help.

And, come back anytime.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back