Conditional formatting for an entire row based on one cell

lzweifel

Board Regular
Hi... please someone help!!

I have set A1 with a drop down of four text choices and a conditional format to change the color based on which ever text is chosen. Now, when a certain drop down text is chosen and the color changes I need the entire row to also change to that color.

So, basically... I can't figure out the formula or conditional format to change the entire row based on that one cell drop down. I do need, however, the text in the rest of the row to remain as is and editable.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
If you highlight all the cells you want to change based on your A1 selections, then click conditional formatting and "use a formula to determine which cells to format", you can use an IF statement to determine when to change colors. Such as:

Code:
=IF(A1,"value","")

Upvote 0
It doesn't work... is it because of the drop down in the cell I am referring to or possibly because I have already put a conditional format in that cell to change the color with the drop down?

Upvote 0
lzweifel, Good morning.

You already have, the formula applied in Conditional Formatting.

Just change the interval where Conditional Formatting is being applied.

Clicking inside the Conditional Formatting menu will appear in front of the formula, the window that says: "Apply to:"

Change this range to affect the entire line;

Example: Instead of just $A$1, type $1:$1

Was that what you wanted?
I hope I've helped.

Upvote 0
Thank you.... May we start over, I am going to highlight my entire sheet and clear all formats.

In Cell A9 to A250 I have a drop down to choose one of three choices:

Closed
Incomplete
On-Going

Now, from that dropdown in A9 I am going to choose "Closed" and I want my entire row A9 to N9 to highlight yellow based on that selection. In A10 I am going to choose "On-Going" and want the entire row to change to green.

Upvote 0
is the dropdown a combobox or listbox? if so, you'll have to link it to cell A1 using the properties in order for it to work properly. If it's a data validation, I believe it should work.

Upvote 0
sorry, I can't edit posts yet so I didn't see the two replies between mine. What I mean to say is that if it's a combobox or listbox, then the dropdown has to be linked to the cell behind it so that when the dropdown is updated, so is the cell behind it.

Upvote 0
you would need to make the column absolute in conditional formatting

select the table first then use

=$A9="closed"

you would need to create separate rules for each color

Upvote 0
Now I am all sorts of confused!

I created the dropdown from validation and a list

I can get one cell to change color no problem, but can't get it to change the entire row with it no matter what I seem to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back