Can you update formatting on a master sheet from a formatting change on a related sheet?

KB_Miner

Board Regular
I have a workbook that has 13 identical sheets. One for each month, and one for the year end that sums all the data in the other sheets. My boss is asking me if it's possible that if someone highlights a value on one of the monthly sheets for that same cell to be highlighted in the year end sheet (and only in the year end sheet, not across all sheets). Would be nice if there could be a link on the yearly total sheet to the changed cell on the monthly sheet. Not sure on this one, so any ideas would be helpful.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I have a workaround but may not be suitable for what your needs require. Anyways, what this code will do is always select the "Year End" page when you select any of the monthly sheets. So when you change the fill of a cell in the month tab it will also change it in the year end tab. Only problem with this is that if you enter values or change formula it will also change it in the year end tab.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()

Sheets("YearEnd").Select Replace:=False

End Sub

Upvote 0
Formulas do not generally "see" formatting, and they cannot "pull-in" formatting from other cells, so you will need VBA for this

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back