Thread: Count words, but not HTML tags

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Count words, but not HTML tags

Hi
    i want to count all words in a cell, but not those, which are placed between < and >. Or, count all words, which are placed between > and <.
    How can i accomplish this? With regex it is a nobrainer, but in Excel - no clue

MrExcel MVP

Tracy's new best bud
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Re: Count words, but not HTML tags

Have you considered a UDF using regex? If you were to use regex, what would you use?
    Regards,
    Jon von der Heyden

Posting guidelines | Forum rules | FAQs
    English is a weird language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though!

MrExcel MVP

Tracy's new best bud
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think I have a formula that works. I think the best way is to create a name to hold the text, after being split into individual elements.

Hopefully this illustrates the approach using name in column C, but I have also illustrated using a single formula approach (no names) in column B.

Excel 2010

ABC
    1Contentcount wordscount words using name
    2<tag attribute="">some words</tag> <tag attribute="">some more words</tag><tag attribute="">yet more words<tag>88

Sheet1

Array Formulas
    CellFormula
    B2{=SUMPRODUCT(IF(LEN(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1):INDEX(A:A,255,1))*255,255))),IF(LEFT(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1):INDEX(A:A,255,1))*255,255)),1)<>"<",1+LEN(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1):INDEX(A:A,255,1))*255,255)))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1,1):INDEX(A:A,255,1))*255,255))," ","")),0),0))}
    C2{=SUMPRODUCT(IF(LEN(SplitTag),IF(LEFT(SplitTag,1)<>"<",1+LEN(SplitTag)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SplitTag," ","")),0),0))}
    Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
    Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

Workbook Defined Names
    NameRefers To
    SplitTag=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Sheet1!A2,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,1,1):INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,255,1))*255,255))

Regards,
    Jon von der Heyden

English is a weird language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though!

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chilly_bang View Post
    i want to count all words in a cell, but not those, which are placed between < and >. Or, count all words, which are placed between > and <.
    Could we see 8-10 rows of representative sample data (with not too many 'words' in each cell) and the expected results?
    Last edited by Peter_SSs; Feb 28th, 2017 at 06:11 AM.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10
    - Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? Look here
    - If posting vba code, please use Code Tags - like this [code]Paste code here[/code] - or use the VBHTML Maker
    - Read: Forum Rules, Forum Use Guidelines, & FAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)

If you want to try a UDF, I think this may work for you...
    Code:
    Function NonTagWordCount(S As String) As Long Dim X As Long, Phrases() As String Phrases = Split(Replace(S, "<", ">"), ">") For X = 0 To UBound(Phrases) Step 2 NonTagWordCount = NonTagWordCount + UBound(Split(Application.Trim(Phrases(X)))) + 1 Next End Function
    Rick's "mini" blog... http://www.excelfox.com/forum/f22/
    Want to post a small screen shot? See Part B here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_SSs View Post
    Could we see 8-10 rows of representative sample data (with not too many 'words' in each cell) and the expected results?
    Sure, here a pair:
    Code:
    a1;
    a2;

@ Jon von der Heyden: On using your forumla from B2 i get always =, not dependently of content in A2. Is it because i'm on Office 2007?
    @
    Rick Rothstein: how is this code usable?
    Last edited by chilly_bang; Feb 28th, 2017 at 06:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)

@ [/COLOR]Rick Rothstein what do you mean with this code?[/QUOTE]
    What I posted is called a UDF (user defined function). Perhaps this write-up which I have posted in the past will help...

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
    ------------------------------------
    If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the code I posted in Message #5 into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use NonTagWordCount just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=NonTagWordCount(A1)

If you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.
    Rick's "mini" blog... http://www.excelfox.com/forum/f22/
    Want to post a small screen shot? See Part B here.

MrExcel MVP

Tracy's new best bud
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chilly_bang View Post
    Sure, here a pair:
    @ Jon von der Heyden: On using your forumla from B2 i get always =, not dependently of content in A2. Is it because i'm on Office 2007?
    I think that your result includes tags which is being parsed by the forum, so I can't remark on why the formula isn't working. Although you can probably tell from my first post that I would opt for a UDF. Either using Rick's, or if you know regex then you could apply the regex logic to your own UDF.

I should point out though that my formula is an array formula. Note the instruction in my post to type the formula with an "=" and to commit it with Control+Shift+Enter.
    Last edited by Jon von der Heyden; Feb 28th, 2017 at 07:13 AM.
    Regards,
    Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I think this is the sample data you tried to post. (When posting HTML text, click Go Advanced at the bottom right of the Quick Reply window and look down for the option to turn off HTML for your post)

a1;<div class="brandingInfo_wrapper"><div class="footer_bandSingleText"><div id="band_info" class="dark"><h1 class="h2">x-men</h1><div class="textBlock"><p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos e <strong>X-Men</strong> Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum <strong><a href="/lis_Wolverine_bandbrand/">Wolverine</a></strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. <strong>X-Men: Apocalypse</strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.</p></div></div></div></div>

a2;<div class="footer_bandSingleText"><div id="band_info" class="dark"><h1 class="h2">star trek</h1><div class="textBlock"><p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. <strong>Star Trek</strong> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. <strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. </strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. <strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. </strong> Lorem <strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. </strong> Ipsum <strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. </p></div></div></div>

So that is two sample texts, what about the last part of my question: "the expected results"?
    .. and explain those expected results please.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Peter
    Excel 365 - Windows 10
    - Want to help your helpers by posting a small, copyable, screen shot directly in your post? Look here
    - If posting vba code, please use Code Tags - like this [code]Paste code here[/code] - or use the VBHTML Maker
    - Read: Forum Rules, Forum Use Guidelines, & FAQ

MrExcel MVP

Tracy's new best bud
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Well done Peter pulling that out!

@chilly_bank: Please do not overlook Peter's request for desired results.

Mine is more of a cautionary note: I believe there is a flaw in my formula, but I'm not feeling the love for the formula-based solution anyway so not feeling very inclined to debug it. Ricks UDF returns 92 (C1), which by my estimation is the correct result. Herewith a comparison of Rick's UDF and my original formula suggestion in B1.

Excel 2010

ABC
    1<div class="brandingInfo_wrapper"><div class="footer_bandSingleText"><div id="band_info" class="dark"><h1 class="h2">x-men</h1><div class="textBlock"><p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos e <strong>X-Men</strong> Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum <strong><a href="/lis_Wolverine_bandbrand/">Wolverine</a></strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. <strong>X-Men: Apocalypse</strong>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua.</p></div></div></div></div>9492

Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
    CellFormula
    C1=NonTagWordCount(A1)

Array Formulas
    CellFormula
    B1{=SUMPRODUCT(IF(LEN(SplitTag),IF(LEFT(SplitTag,1)<>"<",1+LEN(SplitTag)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SplitTag," ","")),0),0))}
    Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
    Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

Workbook Defined Names
    NameRefers To
    SplitTag=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(Sheet1!XFD1,"<",REPT(" ",255)&"<"),">",">"&REPT(" ",255)),ROW(INDEX(Sheet1!XFD:XFD,1,1):INDEX(Sheet1!XFD:XFD,255,1))*255,255))

Last edited by Jon von der Heyden; Feb 28th, 2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Regards,
    Jon von der Heyden

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others