Finding or extracting documentation for VBA procedures such as MSXML

wornhall

Board Regular
How does one get or extract procedural definition and associated parameters from a "project" like MSXML 6.0? I am doing some basic web scraping but am only mirroring VBA snippets, rather than really learning. This same question would apply to any project, so generic answers are aok. The work will be done in Excel 2016 on a Win10 home equipped desk computer. I have written several VBA scripts but am still a tyro with lots to learn.

My goal is to do several scrapings that will aid in tracking my investments, then to develop some aggressive retrievals of county tax records for real estate investing

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
How does one get or extract procedural definition and associated parameters from a "project" like MSXML 6.0? I am doing some basic web scraping but am only mirroring VBA snippets, rather than really learning. This same question would apply to any project, so generic answers are aok. The work will be done in Excel 2016 on a Win10 home equipped desk computer. I have written several VBA scripts but am still a tyro with lots to learn.

My goal is to do several scrapings that will aid in tracking my investments, then to develop some aggressive retrievals of county tax records for real estate investing

If you are referring to the syntax, properties, methods, etc. then most of that can be found in the Excel and VBA help files. To access the VBA help, open the vb editor and click the Question Mark in the blue circle. Don't know how your system will bring it up, but you want to get to 'VBA Language Reference' and you can either pick subject from the listing on the left of the screen or type a topic in the search box and click the search icon or press enter. It might not be so easy for a tyro to use that method, but it is where the details of the VBA code exists. Some topics are better illustrated and explained than others. There are also free tutorials on the web for vba that might be helpful. Just type 'VBA free tutorial' in your browser or search engine and it will bring up several options. You can pick through them for what you consider useful. Other than that, it is Amazon, Barnes and Noble or some other hardcopy source and a lot of reading. Or enroll in some of the classes offered on this site from time to time.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the fine response. In Excel, the help function refers directly to MSDN on-line which is not very helpful for an addin. What I think is needed is a breakout of the referenced dll, namely MSXML6.dll in this case.

Opening this library entry in Notebook and "find"ing MSXML about half way down, one will find a couple of tables with entry points for the functions available and a little further down, their descriptions. It is most promising, and there must??? be a way to break out this information.

How else can one learn all the methods available within an addin?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the fine response. In Excel, the help function refers directly to MSDN on-line which is not very helpful for an addin. What I think is needed is a breakout of the referenced dll, namely MSXML6.dll in this case.

Opening this library entry in Notebook and "find"ing MSXML about half way down, one will find a couple of tables with entry points for the functions available and a little further down, their descriptions. It is most promising, and there must??? be a way to break out this information.

How else can one learn all the methods available within an addin?
Looks like you are referring to source code data. I do not believe you are going to find a public reference to that on line. That is generally considered proprietary information and closely controlled by the originator. You might be able to parse it out in the manner you describe, but if I am correct about what you are after, you won't find it by googling.

Upvote 0
Looks like you are referring to source code data. I do not believe you are going to find a public reference to that on line. That is generally considered proprietary information and closely controlled by the originator. You might be able to parse it out in the manner you describe, but if I am correct about what you are after, you won't find it by googling.

Thanks anyhow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back