GOOGLE SHEETS: How to return results from one column that are not in other column?

joshman108

For instance, if column A has the following values:

and column B has the values:

I would want a function that would simply return

because those are the values in column B but not in A. There will be no duplicate values within each column. Each value will be entirely unique within that column. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Re: How to return results from one column that are not in other column?

I can think of a few ways.

You can create a calculation in column C that does a VLOOKUP between the two columns to identify the missing records, or do a COUNTIF formula to count how many times the values appear in the other column (1 or 0 if they are unique). Then you can simply filter the data on the third column to only show the missing values.

Upvote 0

In D1 control+shift+en, not just enter:

=SUM(IF(ISNA(MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$5,0)),1))

D2: List B Not In A

In D3 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF(ROWS($D$3:D3)>$D$1,"",INDEX($B$2:$B$7,SMALL(IF(ISNA(MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$5,0)),ROW($B$2:$B$7)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROWS($D$3:D3))))

Upvote 0

For instance, if column A has the following values:

and column B has the values:

I would want a function that would simply return

because those are the values in column B but not in A. There will be no duplicate values within each column. Each value will be entirely unique within that column. Any ideas?
Some questions...

1) Will one of the columns always be longer than the other? If so, which one?

2) Will your data ever have spaces within it (such as two words with a single space between them)?

3) Does your data start at Row 1? If not, what row do they start at?

4) Do you want the output in Column C in multiple cells (one value per cell) or as a delimited list of values within a single cell?

5) Is a VBA solution acceptable?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aladin, that worked. I don't know what you mean "D2: List B Not In A" but it couldn't have been too important because it worked without it, whatever it was. I don't suppose there is a way to get that down into one function?

Rick,
1) no not necessarily because there will be a lot of times where the columns are identical and that is fine. But in the event that there are differences between them, yes in every case the second column will be longer.
2) no, not that I can think of for any reason
3) data actually starts in row 3 (my formula below is just a test)
4) I think different cells would be easiest to read for sure, so having the results stacked one on top of another in different cells would be ideal.
5) no, I'm actually using google sheets

Thanks for all your help as always rick. It did occur to me that this is actually the exact formula I want (written in google sheets)

=ArrayFormula(if(countif(BZ18:BZ25,CA18:CA25)=0,CA18:CA25,""))

Where I am checking to see if values in range 2 (CA18:25) are in NOT in range 1 (BZ18:BZ25), if so, return me the list. The problem is that it will output a blank row for every match. For instance, per my example above if range 1 has the following values:

and range 2 has the values:

then the formula is going to return
(blank)
(blank)
(blank)
(blank)

whereas I want it condensed to just

It occurs to me I made a post on this several days ago and looking at it now the answer does not seem to make sense or work for me...

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1009504-how-get-array-not-output-blanks.html#post4845728

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aladin, that worked. I don't know what you mean "D2: List B Not In A" but it couldn't have been too important because it worked without it, whatever it was. I don't suppose there is a way to get that down into one function?
[...]

D2 is just cosmetics, a header for the results.

If you don't want the formula in D1 and the cosmetics in D2, remove them, then...

In D2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$7,SMALL(IF(ISNA(MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$5,0)),ROW($B$2:$B$7)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROWS($D$2:D2)),"")

Upvote 0

In Google Sheets...

In D2 enter and copy down:

=ARRAYFORMULA(IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$7,SMALL(IF(ISNA(MATCH($B$2:$B$7,$A$2:$A$5,0)),ROW($B$2:$B$7)-ROW($B$2)+1),ROWS($D$2:D2)),""))

Upvote 0

5) no, I'm actually using google sheets
Please be ABSOLUTELY sure to mention that in the initial posting (or thread title). Excel and Google Sheets are NOT the same.
If you don't mention that, and post it in the "Excel Questions" section, there is no reason for any of us to think it is anything other than an Excel question.

I have moved this thread to the "General Excel Discussion & Other Questions". This is where you should post questions about Google Sheets.
I also updated your thread title.

Upvote 0

Joe, yes, I'm sorry. I will be sure to do that in the future.

Aladin, that seems to work. I will implement it and let you know if it fails in any way. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back