What skills are important to become a data analyst?

343GS

Hello everybody! I hope this is the right session.
I was thinking, apart from an excellent knowledge of the tools, what you think are the skills that a good data analyst should develop? I mean like interpersonal skills for example. The more specific you are the better, i am thinking about this career path.

Thank you ?!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
It can kind of depend on what area of work you are in; but I think in general a good skill to have is being able to translate technical information well to all parties - meaning, not only to have a thorough understanding of requirements and details of the project or task but being able to explain them at a 6th grade level up to a highly skilled dev teams. I found this a common occurrence when I've had to deal with directors managing a project as a whole, that barely could navigate through a spreadsheet with also having to deal with the developers on the project.
Some Data Analysts are almost like BA's as well (Business Analysts - which I have had this title as well) where you are like a liaison between a client, internal dev team, internal project team, internal project directors and have to be able to regurgitate all the technical requirements and technical details in a manner that everyone on the team, including the client is able to understand.
-a data analyst may not even work with these people - thats why I had mentioned it really depends on your area of work and your team.

I went from a BA to a Data Analyst to now a Programmer (SQL and VBA)

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
It can kind of depend on what area of work you are in; but I think in general a good skill to have is being able to translate technical information well to all parties - meaning, not only to have a thorough understanding of requirements and details of the project or task but being able to explain them at a 6th grade level up to a highly skilled dev teams. I found this a common occurrence when I've had to deal with directors managing a project as a whole, that barely could navigate through a spreadsheet with also having to deal with the developers on the project.
Some Data Analysts are almost like BA's as well (Business Analysts - which I have had this title as well) where you are like a liaison between a client, internal dev team, internal project team, internal project directors and have to be able to regurgitate all the technical requirements and technical details in a manner that everyone on the team, including the client is able to understand.
-a data analyst may not even work with these people - thats why I had mentioned it really depends on your area of work and your team.

I went from a BA to a Data Analyst to now a Programmer (SQL and VBA)

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I think this is really helpful! :) I work for an IT company and I would like to become a data analyst one day, so I am trying to learn R mostly, and trying to get better in excel. But i also think interpersonal skills like the ones you describe are really useful for this type of role!

Upvote 0
I know you didn't ask for advice on this topic; but when you mention 'trying to get better in excel' one of the most effective ways I had done this (and still doing) is checking in with this forum when I had a question. This forum has accelerated my knowledge on Excel - there are some extremely talented individuals on here that are always more then willing to assist.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back