The 2 stupidest features of Excel, like ever!

niko333c

Hello everyone.

Excel is normally a fantastic product, and allows you to do so many things and improves the quality of your life dramatically.

However, it has 2 features that, in my opinion, are absolutely BS.

I'd like to hear your opinion, or if you have any other feature to propose as even stupider than the following:

1) Cumulative CTRL+Z: if you have more documents open and are working on them all, and you need to go back step-by-step in only 1 of them, you simply can't. It'll go back with the operations in reverse chronological order but jumping from document to document.
In other words, either you undo operations in all the files, or you don't undo.

2) Page size: you cannot simply set the size of a page at will, unless your freaking printer can actually print that size!
So, if you want to create an A3 excel file, you simply cannot, unless you go out and buy an A3 printer!
Or, if you need to share an excel file between more computers / places / offices having other printers, when you open the file in the other computers or locations its page size will change and split your content in 2 or more pages!

Or, even if you have an A3 printer, but it's not your default printer, you have only these choices:
• either you change it to default printer every time!
• or you select the non-default A3 printer every time you need to work on that given Excel file
• or you must use a different view while working

What about your stories?

Go ahead guys!

Thanks!!!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Are both those things not high level, i.e. operating system level and not necessarily features exclusive to Excel?

Upvote 0
Are both those things not high level, i.e. operating system level and not necessarily features exclusive to Excel?

I don't believe so, because:

• In Microsoft Word, you can set any size of the document, even if you have no printer, or if you have a printer but it can't handle that document size

• In Microsoft Word, you can CTRL Z in every single document you're working on, without affecting the other documents

• In older versions of Excel, there were neither of the above mentioned stupidest features

Upvote 0
In Excel you can set the size of an individual sheet, to whichever standard paper size you want.

Ctrl + Z is not exclusive to Excel. It may act at an application level, you can open workbooks in separate instance of Excel which should help. Undo won't skip between applications.

Upvote 0
That printer thing! I don't have much need for it but have found that's why I want the XPS printer installed. It has almost all the page sizes. And when I receive a Workbook, I try to remember I MUSTcheck the preview before committing to paper.

If sending to someone else it does depend on what you want them to do with the data too. So often I hear people act like they don't have the ability to Export to PDF either.

CTRL+Z, solved by never making mistakes.... lol. Or close the book without saving. But that may be a luxury you don't have, so yeah, I see that.
(You want bash Publisher on the page layout problems...? I could.)

Upvote 0
In Excel you can set the size of an individual sheet, to whichever standard paper size you want.

Ctrl + Z is not exclusive to Excel. It may act at an application level, you can open workbooks in separate instance of Excel which should help. Undo won't skip between applications.

Wow, how do I do that? (both)
Thanks

@SpillerBD:

Thanks!
Though, I didn't understand your Bash Publisher thing question...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back