Paste Excel Data into Word while leaving Text Form Fields in Place

VBAProIWish

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I have an Excel workbook that I use and rather than copying and pasting from Excel to a Word form, over 100 cells, I did a Mail Merge in Word.

I thought all was well until I realized that while Word had indeed copied over all my Excel data to my mail merge fields, all my text form fields were erased :(.

Basically, what I want is to take the data from cells in 4 columns and a dynamic number of rows in Excel and create a form using this data.

I don't really care if the form is in Word or Excel, all I care about is that the form retains 4 separate ("tabable") "user fields" (such as "Text Form Fields").

In other words...

I want to populate a Word form using data from Excel, email the form to a user and have the user fill out the remaining 4 fields not touched by the mail merge.

It appears that Word's Mail Merge doesn't play nicely with Text Form Fields; they simply delete them :(

It's hard to believe that many people wouldn't want to import data to part of a form and have a user fill out the remaining fields.

SIDE NOTE: I do understand that that this is a combination of Excel AND Word and apologize if I am posting this question in the wrong place. It's just that there are so many knowledgeable folks on here, my thoughts are that someone might be able to either help me or at least steer me in the right direction.

Feel free to delete this thread if it is deemed not suitable for this particular forum.

If this post survives, many thanks to anyone that can offer some insight to my dilemma.

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Word mailmerges have always deleted formfields (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...ds-are-not-retained-during-mail-merge-in-word). However, if your recipients all use Word 2007 & later, you can use content controls instead. An added bonus with content controls is that they function without needing Word's 'filling in forms' protection. Alternatively, you may want to try one of the Many-to-One Mail Merge add-ins, from:
Graham Mayor at Merge Many To One or
Doug Robbins at OneDrive
both of which can do a merge with formfields.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks much Macropod.

I used 4 content controls and they remain intact after the mail merge.

The only disadvantage is that tabbing to each content control seems not possible. It appears that you have to click on each content control.

Is there code that can open up Word and do a mail merge from within Excel?

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I used 4 content controls and they remain intact after the mail merge.

The only disadvantage is that tabbing to each content control seems not possible. It appears that you have to click on each content control.
Whether you can tab from a content control depends on which kind of content control you use. You can tab out of plain text content controls, for example, but not from rich text content controls; the reason being that you can insert tabs into the latter but not the former.

As for
Is there code that can open up Word and do a mail merge from within Excel?
There have been numerous threads on mailmerge automation. See, for example:
Word 2007/2010 Mail Merge to save to individual PDF files
Automating Word Mail Merge with Excel 2010 VBA

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back