Line feed character

Archangelos

Hi all,

I was playing with VBA in MS Word. I have log files from a device and I want to insert a few TAB in each line in order to insert them to excel.

Anyway, the whole thing was successful. However, I have a question.

Take a look at the following picture.
Y8reewN.jpg

At the bottom lines, the last character (that looks like an inverted capital "P") exists to indicate the the change of paragraph. At the upper lines there is a strange, arrow shaped character. What is it?

In order to use replace the paragraph character (the inverted capital "P") ^p can be used. What about this arrow shaped thing?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
What you have switched on is the Reveal Codes element of word. The arrow indicates a line return.

VB can use either Chr(11) or vbCr

Upvote 0
That's a manual line break. Use ^l (a lowercase L) to find/replace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VB can use either Chr(11) or vbCr
So it's ASCII character 11, interesting.

That's a manual line break. Use ^l (a lowercase L) to find/replace.
I did it and worked, thanks buddy. By the way, I managed to find another solution. I copied the whole text from MS Word to Notepad and then copied from Notepad to MS Word. The drawback to this solution is that the text will lose its formatting.
PS: what flag is this in your avatar? Is it the flag of the state of Texas.

I have another problem. I have to replace pairs of characters with a single letter. For example, I have to replace "/E" (the slash character and the English letter e in capital form) with "Ἑ" (the Greek letter Epsilon in capital form with a rough breathing mark). Well, this was easy.
The next combination of letters I have to replace includes the carat mark. I have to replace the "^O" (carat mark plus the capital o) with "Ὁ" (the Greek letter Omikron in capital form with a rough breathing mark). The carat mark spois the whole thing. MS Word handles "^O" as a code similar to "^p" or "^t", such code does not exist and I get an error message.

What should I do if I want to include the carat mark in Find or Replace?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back