Using Word To Paste TXT File Text Into Excel With No Formatting

miketurn

(Title suppose to say "Paste" not "Past" unfortunately cannot edit thread titles)

This question may lean a little more on the "Word" side, but the end result will be used in Excel.
I am using version 2003 but I imagine this options should be available in all versions.

If I take a text document (.txt file format) and open it up in "Notepad" or "WordPad" and then copy text from this document and paste it into an Excel spreadsheet that has a color fill background, the text will paste perfectly into those cells no altering the color background at all.

If I open up a .txt document with Word and I try to do the same thing, when I paste that text into my Excel spreadsheet it removes the color fill background and makes it white, in essence removing the cells formatting.
"Styles and Formatting" is set at "Plain Text".

I am aware of "Paste Special" which is not what I am looking for.
What I am looking for is....
1.) Some kind of setting / formatting option within Word that makes it so that when Word copies text from a .txt file that the formatting does not come along with it (which in my case as mentioned in example above is removing the background color)

2.) Would also like this ability to apply this setting / formatting option to Word Documents (.doc) as well if possible.

Thank You to anyone who reads this

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
What I am looking for is....
1.) Some kind of setting / formatting option within Word that makes it so that when Word copies text from a .txt file that the formatting does not come along with it (which in my case as mentioned in example above is removing the background color)

2.) Would also like this ability to apply this setting / formatting option to Word Documents (.doc) as well if possible.
Word has no setting to prevent it copying Style information along with whatever content you copy; whether that Style information is pasted depends entirely on the paste options you choose.

Upvote 0
@Macropod
Thank you for your response, that is what I figured and what I was afraid of.
Was hoping I was wrong and their was some setting I was unaware of.
So "paste special" really is the only option.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back