Links between Word and Excel

Joseph1977

Hello,

I have made what I will use as a template. One folder with one word document and one excel spreadsheet file and the two files are linked together. I need to be able to copy the folder and use the files for a new appraisal job, but leaving the template in tact. When I attempt to do so, the new word document has links, but they point to the old excel file, not the new one.

This is a feature which I have to have. I need to have up to 10 templates and subsequently be able to copy any two word/excel combination files and use them to start a new job. (real estate appraisal). I worked at another company and was able to do it with some of their old files.

My second possible problem is that excel sometimes takes a long time to save, I'm thinking its because of the links. I just upgraded to 64 bit office 365 thinking this would help, but the jury is still out. I do have a 64 bit processor.

If a typical user like myself can't make the files work as desired, I'm open to paying for some help.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Word links to Excel files always use an absolute path, so that copying/moving the Word file to a new folder doesn't break the link. That, of course, creates problems when you move the Excel file. You will need to edit the links when you do that. If there are many links and/or, the files are being moved regularly, you may be interested in the macro attached to: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sh...d-Fields-and-Relative-Paths-to-External-Files

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back