Data Mining Software for use with excel

gilesgerman

I am trying to get data from a website into excel. I have been on Wikipedia and a number of software has been recommended. I am using a MacBook Pro. My question is simple which piece of software is best for use with excel?

[h=2]Software[/h]See also: Category:Data mining and machine learning software.

[h=3]Free open-source data mining software and applications[/h]The following applications are available under free/open source licenses. Public access to application source code is also available.

• Carrot2: Text and search results clustering framework.
  • Chemicalize.org: A chemical structure miner and web search engine.
  • ELKI: A university research project with advanced cluster analysis and outlier detection methods written in the Javalanguage.
  • GATE: a natural language processing and language engineering tool.
  • KNIME: The Konstanz Information Miner, a user friendly and comprehensive data analytics framework.
  • Massive Online Analysis (MOA): a real-time big data stream mining with concept drift tool in the Java programming language.
  • MEPX - cross platform tool for regression and classification problems based on a Genetic Programming variant.
  • ML-Flex: A software package that enables users to integrate with third-party machine-learning packages written in any programming language, execute classification analyses in parallel across multiple computing nodes, and produce HTML reports of classification results.
  • MLPACK library: a collection of ready-to-use machine learning algorithms written in the C++ language.
  • NLTK (Natural Language Toolkit): A suite of libraries and programs for symbolic and statistical natural language processing (NLP) for the Python language.
  • OpenNN: Open neural networks library.
  • Orange: A component-based data mining and machine learning software suite written in the Python language.
  • R: A programming language and software environment for statistical computing, data mining, and graphics. It is part of the GNU Project.
  • scikit-learn is an open source machine learning library for the Python programming language
  • Torch: An open source deep learning library for the Lua programming language and scientific computing framework with wide support for machine learning algorithms.
  • UIMA: The UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) is a component framework for analyzing unstructured content such as text, audio and video – originally developed by IBM.
  • Weka: A suite of machine learning software applications written in the Java programming language.

[h=3]Proprietary data-mining software and applications[/h]The following applications are available under proprietary licenses.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
It depends on what you are trying to do.
R is my personal preference for large data sets (over 104,576 rows) and engineer calculations.
You need to sharp your statistics skills if you want to use R.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd go with marious, R is free and has a large online community of help. It's used in a lot of universities to teach data mining.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back