Export MS Word Form Data to MS Excel

NWHanover

Hello,

I am trying to create a form in MS Word that a prospective member can fill out and return and the corresponding data fields can then be deposited in an MS Excel sheet. I am using a mix of ActiveX Controls (Text Box and Check Box) as my form fields. I have done some browsing for solutions and found a couple of VBA suggestions but they don't seem to work with ActiveX Controls.

Please let me know of any recommendations on how to get data from my MS Word form using ActiveX Controls to a MS Excel sheet - using VBA or other methods.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Using ActiveX Controls is a bad idea if any of the users have Macs. ActiveX Controls have never been supported on Macs and do not work there. Is there a reason for not using formfields or content controls?

Upvote 0
Macropod,

Thanks for replying to my OP. No specific reason for using ActiveX Controls aside from aesthetics and appearance - the text boxes seem more professional looking. I have had trouble getting form fields and content controls to do what I want (namely limit character length) but I would not count them out entirely if you believe compatibility issues would cause problems down the road. I would also need to use a drop-down list for a couple of fields but I'm not sure how that would affect the rest of the scenario.

Either way, let's say I re-design the form to use either form fields or content controls (including text boxes, check boxes, and drop down lists), do you know a good VBA solution to pull data from these fields into an Excel spreadsheet?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have had trouble getting form fields and content controls to do what I want (namely limit character length)
Formfields are supported in all Word versions on PCs and Macs. Content controls are only supported in Word 2007 & later for PCs and Word 2013 & later for Macs. You should not use formfields and content controls in the same document - they weren't designed to work together and using both can cause problems.
I would also need to use a drop-down list for a couple of fields but I'm not sure how that would affect the rest of the scenario.
Formfields and content controls both support dropdowns, so tha shouldn't be an issue.
Either way, let's say I re-design the form to use either form fields or content controls (including text boxes, check boxes, and drop down lists), do you know a good VBA solution to pull data from these fields into an Excel spreadsheet?
See: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-vba/19914-how-transferring-word-data-excel-sheet.html#post59665
The Excel macro there will extract the formfield and/or content control data from all documents in the selected folder.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back