Please help with what is the best laptop for using Excel?

Waboku

Hello,

I would like to know what laptop to buy for using Excel. I would like to buy a laptop that is for work and most of what I would be doing is using Excel.

This is roughly what I would be using it for:
Getting external data from the web, 500 to 750 pages 5 days a week.
Analyzing a list of around 20,000 rows by 5 columns everyday.
Adding the above list to a spreadsheet that analyzes the above sheet and uses multiple functions, mostly if then functions. Every day.
A spreadsheet that forecasts around 20,000 rows with a range of 1 to 20 diferent columns of values for each row using the offset/forecast functions. The number of different column values increases daily for some of the rows when I add newly analyzed data.
An Additional spreadsheet analyzing the from web data. 20,000 rows by 50 columns. Mostly if then functions.
Each page of from web data is less than 5 columns and less than 2,000 rows.

I would like to be able to pull the from web data quickly/without error and for Excel to process the changes I make to the analysis quickly. Sometimes I've run in to a problem with not enough memory which I'd like to do something about/avoid.

I thought maybe there's a laptop that would be best for that. If someone could please recommend a laptop or what kind of things to make sure to purchase in a laptop that would be great.

I'm planning to purchase a laptop, instead of a computer, because I need to move it to a different place when acquiring the from web data than when I'm working on it.

Thanks for your time and help.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I would say anything with i7 processor and 8gb ram or above will be sufficient. anything over that it just a question of budget and what you want in terms of screen size etc.

Excel will lock up despite processing power with too many formulas etc, its just it's internal workings.

Upvote 0
Hello, thanks.

An office support page referring to 64 gb or 32 gb says 64 gb may be better for someone working with large sets of data and external data connections. Do you think that going with 64gb Excel and more ram would be better? Do you know how much ram would be sufficient?

Upvote 0
You seem to be confusing 64/32-bit installations of Excel with 63/32Gb RAM. The two are unrelated. I seriously doubt you'd need even 32Gb RAM. In general, 8Gb RAM is more than sufficient, regardless of whether you're using a 32-bit or 64-bit installation of Excel. Few users need a 64-bit installation of Excel; using such creates additional challenges when it comes to VBA, for example.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back