Hiding content in MS Word

Archangelos

Hi guys,

I have a little experience in Excel and Visio. It is very easy for me to hide content. In Excel, I can hide or even delete rows and columns that contain personal notes. I can either hide columns/rows and extract a pdf or Save As and then delete rows/columns.

In Visio I can play with the layers (not visible, not print, delete).

But ... ... how can I do it in MS Word? I need to include personal notes inside the MS Word document and either hide or delete easily.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
make them the same as the paper colour, most won't notice

Upvote 0
You can apply the 'hidden' font attribute to the text but, whether that text is displayed and/or printed, depends on how you (or anyone else viewing the document) have Word configured. If you want to delete your hidden text, you could use Find/Replace to do so.

FWIW, Word's 'comment' feature is what would ordinarily be used for this; their display can easily be toggled on/off.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answers.

The most important paramenter is to be able to do it in a few seconds, using VBA or something else.

The comment feature can do the job. However, I have a concern about that. One colleague attempted to work on a file with comments and some other functions of MS Word were not working.

The idea I came up with (after having started this thread) is to use a different style. Then, I can either use VBA to delete anything of a particular style (I do not know if it is possible) or change the style's font colour to match the background colour.

Upvote 0
maybe a new style, and just delete the style ?

Upvote 0
The comment feature can do the job. However, I have a concern about that. One colleague attempted to work on a file with comments and some other functions of MS Word were not working.
That is most unlikely to be a result of using comments.
The idea I came up with (after having started this thread) is to use a different style. Then, I can either use VBA to delete anything of a particular style (I do not know if it is possible) or change the style's font colour to match the background colour.
You could set the Style's font attribute to hidden - easily done via the Ribbon - or use Find/Replace to hide or delete all content in that Style. Neither approach requires a macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back