What processor do and RAM do you need?

sgallucci

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a SurfaceBook 2 for home and working from home. My IT person at work said I'd need at least an i7 and 16MB of RAM. A SB2 with those options is *really* pricey. I'm wondering if I can get by with an i5 and 8MB.

For background, I work with Excel files that are up to 1MB in size. Projects might include:

- Pivot tables and graphs off of downloads from Salesforce that can be a thousand lines or so down and 10-15 columns.
- Budget files where 20 departmental P&L's are grouped together and then consolidated.

I've been reading online articles, but they're either geared towards gamers or home users - nothing for Excel folks. So your opinion is appreciated!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
what OS will you install, 32bit and you can only use 3Gb ram, if you go 64bit, you will need 64bit office, and some add on vendors do not support. Games machines have a high spec graphics processor, which for most excel won't make a difference.

You will do better with an SSD harddrive.

i5 processors are good, choose the best from the range you can afford, faster with best on die caches

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back