Word object help

iluvweed

Hello thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me out. My question sounds simple (to me) but i have a worksheet with word files on it that other sheets will later have links to, to edit and print. However I want the file to remain fresh everytime it's opened. Currently everytime I close the word file it saves automatically with no prompt. Everytime you hit X it saves no matter what. I am hoping an option or something will prevent this as I've already loaded the page with a few dozen word file objects that all need to do the same thing. It does the same thing with embedded Excel files too, no way to close without saving. Ideally I would prefer the option, with the default being to not save on close. Thank you for any assistance or insight.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
The only way to avoid saving changes to an embedded Word or Excel object is to undo those changes.

Upvote 0
The only way to avoid saving changes to an embedded Word or Excel object is to undo those changes.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think a vba code could revert all changes prior to closing? I could add a button that saves the document if needed and by default it would revert prior to closing?

Upvote 0
Do you think a vba code could revert all changes prior to closing?
Not easily. An alternative might be to save your workbook without saving changes to it; that way the changes to the embedded files would be reverted. That said, I can't see the point of having all these embedded objects, rather than, say, hyperlinks to them as external files.

Upvote 0
Not easily. An alternative might be to save your workbook without saving changes to it; that way the changes to the embedded files would be reverted. That said, I can't see the point of having all these embedded objects, rather than, say, hyperlinks to them as external files.

Well I need them all contained because the workbook will then be given to several dozen different people using the forms for their own uses. They will also be taking the file home so can't link to the original file. The idea is to have a clean copy of a certain form they can use over and over, as opposed to clearing the form everytime from last use. Maybe if I make all the word files into forms and make a clear all button prior to closing that would clear the forms. If I close Excel before closing the word file it goes blank (word). If I close word first it saves automatically, so I can't bypass by closing Excel.

Upvote 0
Please consider:
1. If you insert a hyperlink to an external file in the same folder, then provided your Excel workbook and that other file are kept in the same folder, it really doesn't matter whether the users you distribute the files to keep them in a different folder to what you do.
2. If you use a macro to open Word and create a new document from a Word template stored in the same folder (which is quite easily coded), then the users will be presented with a new document each time, obviating the risk that any edits they make will affect the template.
3. If you put all the files into a folder your users have access to, there is no need to distribute copies to them.

Upvote 0
Please consider:
1. If you insert a hyperlink to an external file in the same folder, then provided your Excel workbook and that other file are kept in the same folder, it really doesn't matter whether the users you distribute the files to keep them in a different folder to what you do.
2. If you use a macro to open Word and create a new document from a Word template stored in the same folder (which is quite easily coded), then the users will be presented with a new document each time, obviating the risk that any edits they make will affect the template.
3. If you put all the files into a folder your users have access to, there is no need to distribute copies to them.

Thank you for your reply and very much appreciated. I am going to do as you suggest. It seems the most logical. Thank you again very much for your time and information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fairooza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back