Creating see-through holes in a printable background so excel cells can show through

wrose

I'm trying to create forms that I can fill out in excel that print out looking exactly like the forms our company uses... They have to be perfect. The other day I offered an innovative solution to the problem of selecting cells in a worksheet with a printable background. The next problem I had was seeing the contents of the unlocked cells I entered data into through the background (which sits in front). Adjusting the transparency of the background so the contents of the cells could show through sort-of worked... but the form ended up looking not-dark-enough as did cell contents. The trick, and you may already know this but I'm telling you anyway:

I scanned in my form and received it in the .PDF format. I opened the .pdf in a graphics editor then exported it to a .gif file. I edited opened the .gif document in the graphics editor and made sure there was an "Alpha Channel". I then used the selection tool to make "holes" in the form where I wanted the contents of excel windows to show through. I used the .gif with the "holes" as the overlay in Excel and Presto! The contents of the cells showed through without having to adjust transparency. The contents of the cells printed out just fine... so did the graphics!

Also... when building a form I recommend creating a background graphic for the purpose of lining things up. Only do the insert rectangle image trick when the form is done. See page 732 of MrExcel's book "Learn Excel 2007-2010" if you don't get what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps some folks! Hats-off to the forum!

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back