bearcub

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I know this isn't an Excel question but something happened over the weekend where my computer won't restart. I get a message that there is something wrong with my C drive and it tries to fix it on the fly. However, I can a message that it can' be fixed and gives me some option.

I do have the option of restarting with a command prompt. I have Windows 10 - is there a way to restart my computer DOS commands?

I have a Dell computer and I'm running Windows 10. I tried using shutdown /r /t 0 but my system doesn't recognize these commands. Is there something else that Windows will recognize?

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
If I start the computer in safe mode how do I go about fixing the issue after that?
I've no idea, I'm on Win 7 & haven't had the BSOD for years.
Go through the various trouble shooting options.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the link. Now that I know what I'm dealing with i can figure out how to fix it, if I can. It continually loops back to the first screen - I have never a choice to open any programs or anything. It is behaving like an infinite loop. I don't know if can manually add a restore point (I think I was allowed to type one into the box).

Been a lot of Blue Fun, that's for sure.

Thank you for your help,

Michael

Upvote 0
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You can troubleshoot it thoroughly and must create a batch file then you submit the command "shutdown -r". There will show create a Scheduled Task in windows to run that command at a certain time and computer will restart instantly.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
@bearcub - Try restarting and hold ctrl - alt - delete the entire time. You might have to re-install everything. Also, please move to a mac. I use to love PC but for the pass 7 years after the switch, I haven't moved back. This is coming from a guy who use to love his 386sx :). Cheers!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That kind of blanket statement is too general. It really depends on what you are using your computer for.

Since this is an Excel site, it should be noted that there are a bunch of limitations with a Mac; things you cannot do in Excel with a Mac that you can with
Excel for Windows
See: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-windows-1b24f293-739c-4120-b884-893b6687e0d0

@Joe4 - Wow that is pretty crazy actually. I had no clue. Granted PC gives you more flexibility and control but mac I'm finding just seems to crash less. Even when I'm using some heavy duty accounting or invoicing software. Thx for the share though. I guess I sometimes miss Windows XP . . . There are still tons of useful applications that I wish I could use but they are PC only.

Upvote 0
The initial problem seems to me that the harddrive in the machine has fallen over and the boot sector is corrupted, hence the constant restarts. IF the machine can be gotton to boot from a DVD then it maybe possible that the data can be accessed, at which point I would recommend copying as much as you can salvage to USB / DVD backups.

If it refuses to boot cleanly then a new harddisk and reinstall the original OS, add all the available patches from MS until it is clean and up to date. You'll need either a slave lead or second connection to the failed drive and some disc backup software to recover what is possible from the failed drive. (Even if you recover it properly, look to shadow copy the drive to new hardware)

With your data available, throw the old drive away (damage it first), then install your programs,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back