Windows 10 has screwed my Excel 2003

waddoguy

Until recently, I have been using Excel 2003 on a Windows 10 platform, but after a Windows 10 update the program Excel program shuts down whenever I try to enter data, notably when the cell contains a formula. I have unintstalled and then reinstalled the Excel 2003 but that didn't cure the problem. Neither did restoring the computer to an earlier restore point. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, have they found a fix for it?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Are you sure the issue isn't a corrupt workbook. For example, do you have the same problem with other workbooks?

Upvote 0
Are you sure the issue isn't a corrupt workbook. For example, do you have the same problem with other workbooks?

It's the same with other workbooks that have cells containing formulas. I can create a "plain vanilla" workbook that contains no formulas and enter data into the cells with no problem, but any workbook with formulas in the cells promptly closes as soon as data is entered.

Upvote 0
In that case you may have to completely remove (not just uninstall) Office 2003 using something like Revo Unistaller, then reinstall.

Upvote 0
In that case you may have to completely remove (not just uninstall) Office 2003 using something like Revo Unistaller, then reinstall.

A belated thanks, but just recently, I found that the program has mysteriously cured itself. My suspicions are directed at a Microsoft "fix" after finding two overnight reboots. All seems well now, I'm pleased to say :)

Upvote 0
Just to add

When this abort closing happens as described here

Close all applications, get off the internet completely

Hard boot after 30 seconds
Start in safe mode
Open Excel and new blank work book, test working as expected
Try opening an offending workbook

if successful - fully close all applications and hard book in to normal mode

Open excel
Open new blank workbook and test all is working as expected

Close Excel
Open offending workbook

Should have shaken itself out and be working now

This happens here a lot with 2007/2010 and this is all we do and it works. Now called and know as a Microsoft Feature, if undocumented

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back