Run MS Dos Command CMD any copy text from Excel cells...help please?

dwilson38550m

Board Regular
Hi,

I am almost there but struggling with the last part - I have a command line in an Excel workbook (SHEET1 cells A1 to A10) - I would like to have a macro to open cmd (command in MS DOS) and then copy the text in cells A1 to A10 to the command (CMD) line. So far I have

Shell "cmd.exe /k dir c:\windows\system\*.exe", vbNormalFocus

which successfully opens up CMD (and shows C:\Users\david.wilson\Desktop>) but I can't copy the text (from cells A1 to A10) into this. Also C:\Users\david.wilson\Desktop>...is there any way I can specify C:\Users\david.wilson\Desktop\downloads> (which is the name of the folder I want to download the data to)?

Thanks in advance - if you could I would be very grateful.

Regards,
David

Re: Command DoS Not Working (Excel VBA macro)- help please, hopefuly an easy fix?

batchfile is the path so no, don't add anything else between the """".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Re: Command DoS Not Working (Excel VBA macro)- help please, hopefuly an easy fix?

Hi,

Sorry this still doesn't work...it's very frustrating but I think it must be something simple. I have a DOS_commands.bat file saved in P:\gla-files\Accounting Folder - Finance Team\1.Credit Control\USA\Debtors Falling Overdue I have even tried entering

batchFile = "P:\gla-files\Accounting Folder - Finance Team\1.Credit Control\USA\Debtors Falling Overdue\DOS_commands.bat"

still nothing.

is there anything else you can suggest - strange it worked before then stopped?

Upvote 0

Sorry I should have noted that there is a sub string underneath
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich (BB code):
Sub cmdtest()
'
' cmdtest Macro
'
Dim batchFile As String
Dim cell As Range

batchFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\DOS_commands.bat"
Open batchFile For Output As #1 
Print #1 , "cd /d P:\gla-files\Accounting Folder - Finance Team\1.Credit Control\USA\Debtors Falling Overdue\Summary Overdues Generated"
For Each cell In Worksheets("CURLCOMMLIST").Range("C3:C275")
Print #1 , cell.Value
Next
Close #1 

Shell "cmd.exe /k " & Q(batchFile), vbNormalFocus

End Sub
Private Function Q(text As String) As String
    Q = Chr(34) & text & Chr(34)
End Function

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

As I explained, use your Q() or add the double quotes as I did for both bat filename and the cd line:
Code:
Print [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1[/URL]  , "cd /d " & Q("P:\gla-files\Accounting Folder - Finance Team\1.Credit Control\USA\Debtors Falling Overdue\Summary Overdues Generated")

Please paste code between code tags. Click # icon on toolbar to add the tags.

Upvote 0

I have a macro programme that runs from Excel - the CMDTEST macro opens the command prompt and downloads various invoices and saves these to a dedicated folder P:\gla-files\Accounting Folder - Finance Team\1.Credit Control\USA\Debtors Falling Overdue\Summary Overdues Generated This has always worked in the past but for some reason it no longer opens the CMD prompt.
Why are you running a separate command process for this when it could all be done with VBA within Excel?

Upvote 0

Hi,

The VBA in Excel opens up CMD and run a sequence of operations to download invoices.

Upvote 0

Hi I tried this but no luck. I will try a couple of other ways...maybe opening up a .bat is not the best way to do it...it can't even open up cmd effectively I just need excel can to open cmd copy a list of invoices I need downloaded a3:a200 and save these to a specific directory.

Upvote 0

Give an example with obfuscated paths if needed. Either an API or Workbooks(path).SaveAs method might be a better route.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back