Managing large personal.xlsb file

macfuller

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've got 20 years of utilities, forms, classes, and other macros in my personal.xlsb file. It's over 1MB now and while I use some macros more than others I don't want to leave any out for when I need them.

I know it's a big chunk of memory to load the file, even if particular modules aren't loaded until they're used. But if I have a bunch of forms that use the same utility that resides in a huge modUtilities.bas module, the whole thing gets loaded. I haven't gone to the effort of extracting most-used utilities into a separate and smaller module (yet). There's a lot more RAM in a common PC than there was 20 years ago!

So I'm wondering how other people handle this situation. Copy common utilities into forms so that only the form module loads? Somehow have sub-personal files? Some other good governance practice?

Or have I opened the Excel equivalent discussion of which way to hang the toilet paper roll? :mad:

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Or have I opened the Excel equivalent discussion of which way to hang the toilet paper roll?

Yes.

Based on my experience of having asked practically the same question. The results of my "survey" showed everyone is
doing something different - pretty much fits their own personality / needs.

Some have their collection as you have. Others, like myself, have my toolbox residing in a separate folder / separate workbooks or text files / each
named for what the code does.

There are a few online example projects that will categorize your code into a "dictionary" of sorts. Similar code on same sheet - with an INDEX designed with
hyperlinks for quick movement to the sheet in question. I've thought of either using someone else's design (that is free) or construct my own.

In the end ... 1mb is not a lot of memory to be burning. Although it might be a small inconvenience, don't continuously run your toolbox. Only
open it when it is needed ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back