VBA: Excel to Outlook Meeting

irishmanman

Ready for a puzzle? I'm not fluent in VBA, and am hoping someone can point me rightly.

I'm trying to create a solution that takes the below table and sends an Outlook invitation automatically.

I have 200 rows, and don't update them all. So, it may be worth having a button for each row, so that as I update rows, I can click to create meetings as I go.

A) Will this spreadsheet become unruly?
B) Because I have so many rows, I'm worried about creating a bunch of buttons, and then if I insert a new row or column, it won't be clear which button ties to which row. Is there a cleaner way to do what I want?
C) Is there a resource I can use to create the code?*

*I found a few similar pages out there, but candidly, nothing in the format I needed or that I could understand. Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

SubjectBodyDateStart TimeEnd TimeAttendeeMacro
JD to Call MikeDiscuss hard lemonade10/18/189:00 AM9:01 AMbob@bob.comButton 1
Mike to call JDDiscuss whiskey10/19/189:00 AM9:01 AMmike@mike.comButton 2

<!--StartFragment--> <colgroup><col width="82"> <col width="125"> <col width="55"> <col width="61"> <col width="55"> <col width="91"> <col width="75"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--EndFragment--></tbody>

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I wish I could remember where I got the original code to make this work so I can give credit where credit is due.... but I modified what I have to fit your needs.

The first step is to make sure you have the references needed. In VBA, go to tools--> References--> and turn on the Microsoft Outlook xx.xx library (mine is 15.0)

Now you will need to create a Macro that can send your email. Since each row contains the same type of data, you can do this as a sub routine that needs a variable sent to it as the row number:

Code:
Sub Send_Invite_Auto(RowNum As Integer)

Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
    Dim olApt As AppointmentItem

Set olApp = New Outlook.Application                 'Creating Outlook Session
    Set olApt = olApp.CreateItem(olAppointmentItem)     'Creating an Appointment

With olApt
        .Subject = Cells(RowNum, 1)                     'Subject
        .Start = Cells(RowNum, 3) + Cells(RowNum, 4)    'Enter Date + Time here.
        .Recipients.Add (Cells(RowNum, 6))              'Recipient Name, Alias, or any other Attribute.
        .MeetingStatus = olMeeting                      'olAppointmentItem with Meeting status olMeeting
                                                        'becomes a OL Meeting Item.

.Duration = DateDiff("n", Cells(RowNum, 4), Cells(RowNum, 5))                         'In Minutes
        .Body = Cells(RowNum, 2)                        'Body
        .Location = "UPDATE ME"                            'Location of the meeting.
        .Display                                        'for Displaying olMeeting window.
    End With

Application.Wait DateAdd("s", 2, Now)               'waiting for 2 sec to let OL window to display.
    SendKeys "%s", True                                 'Sending Mail.
    Set olApt = Nothing

MsgBox "Invite Sent", vbInformation

End Sub

Please note above, you did not say where the Location of the meeting is in your table, so I call it out as UPDATE ME.

Next you need a way to call this sub. You can create a new button for each row, but like you said that gets massive, you could control that with a Class Module, but I don't think that's needed.
I went with a double click of the cell in column 7.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
If Target.Column = 7 Then
    Call Send_Invite_Auto(Target.Row)
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Send keys can be problematic, use the send method of the appointment item object.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back