Cannot insert content of PDF in document

Steve Bayliss

Hi All,

This is actually a problem that is effecting not just Excel but all office.

I am trying to embed the content of a PDF into the workbook - I totally understand that I will only get the first page of the document, thats all I want as the PDF is always one page in length.

I am using Insert / Object, Create from File, Browse and select PDF, I DO NOT check the boxes Link to File or Display as Icon.

The result is I get an icon displayed and not the content of the PDF. This use to work fine.

The icon can be double clicked and the object will open fine.

When the icon is selected the formula bar displays =EMBED("Packager Shell Object","")

I am using Windows 7 / Office 2013

Others computers in the organisation are having the same issue but then some are OK.

The computer has Acrobat Reader DC, PDF X-Change editor and PDFCreator installed.

I have changed the default program association for PDF to Acrobat Reader and PDF X-Change but still the same results.

I have tried to turn off a number of security settings in Acrobat and PDF X-Change to no avail.

I don't have admin rights so I can't install or uninstall anything.

So, any idea anyone???

Regards

Steve
QLD Australia.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,

??? I don’t want a clickable icon, I want the content. Regardless of the whether I click ‘Display as Icon’ I always get just an icon.

Steve.

Upvote 0
I have full admin rights, and my PC behaves the same way. I think you may be looking at taking a screen grab of the PDF doc and pasting it in as a graphic image.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
maybe try:
Insert - Object - Create New - (select: Adobe Acrobat Document) - OK - select pdf file - Open
it will open Adobe Acrobat (close it) and you should see pdf file embeded in excel sheet.

see link: pdf embeded in excel sheet

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had tried that earlier as a test and it does work. Unfortunately, I need the process to be automated so I can’t use that technique. It is all very strange as this use to work well.

Hopefully I will eventually work out the issue as there are still a few pc’s where it is working but I can it is going to a painful trial and error process to track it down and was hoping someone had already experienced the problem.

If I work it out I’ll surely post what I discover.

Upvote 0
it won't work if you want embed pdf second time (after deleting first embeded object) but I didn't check it too much.
to automate this try vba - but I don't use vba and I can't help

good luck :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back