Mail Merge Question and Confusion

bushidowarrior

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all.

I have been using mail merge for some time now. However, I think I have been doing something wrong.

You can see this simple table below.

tZr86PA.jpg

So when I do a mail merge, it take the information horizontally which is perfect.

Here is the issue. The last column is students. I have a LONGS list of students, (First name, last name, ID, title etc. Even more. it is not 1 student. It could be 10+) Further more, it is a list.

Is there a way to have 1 cell. E2 contain a lot of information about all the students, and then in MS words I can see all the individual elements (First name, last name) etc etc)

I hope I have explained it will. What I am trying to avoid is have a horizontal row with hundreds of cells.

So effectively the student cell would be linked somehow to another sheet which would contain all the students details. And every time I add a new student I need not expand the cells to include the new students.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Okay I think the image below provides better explanation.

So the top parties one sheet in the bottom part is another. And the only thing that's linking them together is level in the first sheet and group in the second sheet. Labeled as novice and advanced.

So effectively. When I do the mailmerge for role two on the first sheet. It would bring all of the students names and level that have novice

Does that make sense to anyone

n7xbw81.jpg

Upvote 0
okay it appears you cannot have two sheets connected to one Microsoft Word mailmerge....

so is there any way to connect these two sheets together and bring all information across?????

Upvote 0
Okay after doing a bit more research it seems I can only control you to the next cell.

So I have provided an image below with two sheets, that would effectively create the third one. But I'm not quite sure how to go about it....

ZBnd9bF.jpg

Upvote 0
Although you're correct that a mailmerge can only use a single worksheet as a data source, when coupled with a DATABASE field, a second worksheet can be brought into play. An outline of this approach can be found at:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...gle-page/4edb4654-27e0-47d2-bd5f-8642e46fa103
For a working example, see:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/37844-mail-merge-using-one-excel-file-multiple.html

The DATABASE field can even be used without recourse to a mailmerge. An example of such usage can be found at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21847-mail-merge-into-different-coloumns.html#post67097

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back