Essbase / Smartview VBA - Connect Code?

Mr Retirement

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has some experience with VBA code with regards to Essbase/Smartview. I'm looking to connect to my cube without entering my login information manually (i.e. have username and password in the code and it'll login by that).

I've tried reading the Developer's Guide below (not getting anywhere):
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E57185_01/SMVDG/ch05s06.html

I believe I need to use - which are from the developer guide above:
HypConnect (vtSheetName, vtUserName, vtPassword, vtFriendlyName)

+

HypCreateConnection(vtSheetName, vtUserName, vtPassword, vtProvider, vtProviderURL, vtServerName, vtApplicationName, vtDatabaseName, vtFriendlyName, vtDescription)

Thanks for any advice,
Mr R

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Below is some code I successfully used to connect to essbase cubes in the past.

Make sure to have all the declaration pasted in at the top of your code module before any subs() -- I have more than declarations than needed, but in case you want to use the other functions...

Also, it requires you to have already setup a Private Connection to the cube you want to access through your smart view browser.

Then just change the spots i marked as enter... in this line of code below: coNN = HypConnect(Empty, enterUserNameString, enterPassWordString, enterPrivateSmartviewConnectionNameString)

Code:
Declare PtrSafe Function HypConnect Lib "HsAddin.dll" (ByVal sheetName As Variant, ByVal vtUser As Variant, ByVal vtPassword As Variant, ByVal vtFriendlyName As Variant) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function HypDisconnect Lib "HsAddin.dll" (ByVal sheetName As Variant, ByVal bLogout As Boolean) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function HypSetAliasTable Lib "HsAddin.dll" (ByVal vtSheetName As Variant, ByVal vtAliasTableName As Variant) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function HypExecuteQuery Lib "HsAddin.dll" (ByVal vtSheetName As Variant, ByVal vtMDXQuery As Variant) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function HypDeleteMetaData Lib "HsAddin" (ByVal vtDispObject As Variant, ByVal vtbWorkbook As Variant, ByVal vtbClearMetadataOnAllSheetsWithinWorkbook As Variant) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)
Declare PtrSafe Function HypSetGlobalOption Lib "HsAddin.dll" (ByVal item As Long, ByVal globalOption As Variant) As Long
Declare PtrSafe Function HypDisconnectAll Lib "HsAddin" () As Long

Sub essCon()

coNN = HypConnect(Empty, enterUserNameString, enterPassWordString, enterPrivateSmartviewConnectionNameString)
             Debug.Print coNN

end sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Odin,

Thank you for your response. Is it possible for me to somehow lookup what the technical Connection Name is for the cube that i'm connecting to? I believe that is the only information point that i'm missing.

Thanks,
Mr R

Upvote 0
Sorry, no idea. I only ever managed to connect through vba if I had already manually setup that private connection first.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back