Office 365: Online -vs- Local

Anne Troy

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
How can I tell -- by talking to someone over the phone -- if they have a local install of Excel?

I've sent 2 people a macro file and the macros don't work. I believe they're using the online version, but I don't know REALLY how to tell (save a copy seems to be one way?). And then, I helped one of them install Excel locally, but it still seems to run the online version. I am pretty sure Start-->Excel did the same thing.

She has difficulty saving to PDF. Not sure if it's because the PDF goes somewhere weird or what. Troubleshooting with this person is very slow. Any help in getting directly to what I need to know would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an Office 365 person at all. I use a local copy (tho I have 365) and have no idea why I've never had any issues.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I have used Joinme. The issue isn't sharing her screen. Repeat: How can I tell -- by talking to someone over the phone -- if they have a local install of Excel?
I do not know how to tell, much less someone else's PC. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
I prefer make life easier than harder
TeamViewer can share screen with your action on her screen, talk or chat

but if you prefer phone....

have a nice day :)

Upvote 0
My question isn't how to screen share.
My question is in the post.
HOW DO I ENSURE SHE IS RUNNING LOCAL INSTEAD OF ONLINE?
Whether I can see her screen or not, I still don't know how to force Excel locally.

Upvote 0
I don't know 365 "offline". it is for subscribers.
remove network cable from the laptop/computer and run Excel :)

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is what you want, but if someone is running the free Excel Online ver., above the ribbon is a green bar. On the left side in this green bar it says "Excel Online". Also, on the online ver. I think your only option is to save the file to OneDrive.

Upvote 0
Can't you just ask if there's an address bar at the top of the screen. I'm not aware of an "online" version that isn't run in a web browser

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CantExcel123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back