Excel/Word Mail Merge - Same Address...different names

doucecool57

Not sure if more of an excel question or a Word Question but here is my issue. We use an EHR where the contact report that is exported has every contact separated into their own row in excel...

for example: mom and dad, living in the same house, have separate entries in the form and are on their own rows within the excel report. I would like to combine mom and dad on one address block for an envelope so they do not receive two invitations to the same event...

<colgroup><col width="160" span="7" style="width:120pt"></colgroup><tbody></tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
PrefixFirst NameLast NameAddressCityStateZip
MrTomBrady6 Patriots RoadFoxboroMA02035
Mrs.GiseleBundchen6 Patriots RoadFoxboroMA02035

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Desired Result:
Mr. Tom Brady and Mrs. Gisele Bundchen
6 Patriots Road
Foxboro, MA 02035

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
To do this effectively, you'll need to restructure your data so that all residents at a given address are on the same row. For example:
Prefix1 FirstName1 LastName1 Prefix2 FirstName2 LastName2 Prefix3 FirstName3 LastName3 Address City State Zip
then use field coding along the lines of that described under Conditionally Merge Spouse Data in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21803-mailmerge-tips-tricks.html

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, that would be OK if I were doing everything but I am trying to create something for many people in my agency to use....will get a lot of backlash if they have to transform any data. Hoping there was an easier way to make it happen, any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
The transformation could be automated via an Excel macro - perhaps sending the output to a sheet specifically created for the mailmerge, so the original data can remain undisturbed. The macro that does that could even automate the mailmerge. That way, your co-workers' lives are actually simplified.

Upvote 0
I need to do a similar thing to this person....is there anyone out there than can explain how to create the automated process via an Excel macro so that the original data remains undisturbed? I have 3 spreadsheets and the first has over 11,000 lines, so I'd really like to not have to manually alter it! Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back