Alternatives to Excel as a service reporting tool

wpryan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All, I hope I am posting this in the right place... My company makes complex medical devices, and for which I developed an Excel based service reporting tool. The service report does a couple of things: it guides the service engineer through exactly has to be done based on the service they are performing and calculates pass/fail criteria for the various tests that have to be done. It is used by direct workers for my company as well as authorized service providers. Generally it's working fine but problems come up from time to time. Sometimes the authorized service partner's IT department doesn't permit the use of Macros in Excel, for fear of ransomware. Regional settings can sometimes be problematic. Some engineers want to use Excel on their tablet, this doesn't work on every tablet Excel installation, and for sure it won't work on an iPad.

I want to look into alternatives to Excel. What I need should be platform independent. To be honest, I am not a programming expert. I learned VBA for Excel and Access on my own, and with an enormous amount of help from this site. I looked briefly at Microsoft PowerApps, thinking it showed promise, but then found out that it will not work with those who are outside your organization and to be honest, we have more persons working on the systems from outside our organization than inside. Additionally, it is not for free. I was thinking about Access redistributable, but don't know if it could be used on tablet computers.

So basically I'm looking for a solution here. Can anyone make suggestions?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi wpryan,
this sounds to me like your tool has "outgrown" Excel.
If I sum up your criteria:
-has to work on a windows computer and an iPad
-has to work without macros
-has to be free
What comes to my mind is that you probably want something browser based, maybe available offline? You could e.g. look into Google Sheets. Basically browser based but also available offline. It's less prone to the regional settings. You'd have to learn Javascript for the coding, but it offers good options to share files.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back