adding parameters in web scraping to connect and scrape data from a Dynamic URL

ExcelSammy

Hello! Someone please help!

I think my issue is most likely a syntax issue but I need to pass parameters to yahoo finance to scrape the data for different tickers on different exchanges. To simplify my problem i just created a seperate test Sub to show my problem. I created 2 string variables (ticker, exchange) and set to examples "TGIF" and "CN" (these are valid) now i just want to ammend these variables as part of the URL.

Code:
Sub OpenWebStockDataTest()
'
' OpenWebStockDataTest Macro
'

'
    Dim sticker As String
    Dim exchange As String

sticker = "TGIF"
    exchange = "CN"

ActiveWorkbook.Queries.Add Name:="Table 2", Formula:= _
        "let" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents(""https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/"" & sticker & ""."" & exchange &""/history?p="" &sticker &"".""&exchange))," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Data2 = Source{2}[Data]," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data2,{{""Date"", type date}, {""Open"", type number}, {""High"", type number}, {""Low"", type number}, {""Close*"", type number}, {""Adj Close**"", type number}, {""Volume"", Int64" & _
        ".Type}})" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "in" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"""
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add
    With ActiveSheet.ListObjects.Add(SourceType:=0, Source:= _
        "OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1;Data Source=$Workbook$;Location=""Table 2"";Extended Properties=""""" _
        , Destination:=Range("$A$1")).QueryTable
        .CommandType = xlCmdSql
        .CommandText = Array("SELECT * FROM [Table 2]")
        .RowNumbers = False
        .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
        .PreserveFormatting = True
        .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
        .BackgroundQuery = True
        .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
        .SavePassword = False
        .SaveData = True
        .AdjustColumnWidth = True
        .RefreshPeriod = 0
        .PreserveColumnInfo = True
        .ListObject.DisplayName = "Table_2"
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
End Sub

the problem is it is not connecting to the table on the website i am trying to scrape. If i hard code the symbol and exchange as part of the URL it works. I am so confused, please help!!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Your quotes in the Formula string are wrong. A string starts with a quote character (") and ends with a quote. Quotes inside the string must be doubled ("") to produce a single quote character.

It's slightly easier to construct the Formula string if you first concatenate the symbol and exchange, like this:
Code:
    Dim ticker As String
    ticker = "TGIF.CN"

ActiveWorkbook.Queries.Add Name:="Table 2", Formula:= _
        "let" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents(""https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/" & ticker & "/history?p=" & ticker & """))," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Data2 = Source{2}[Data]," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data2,{{""Date"", type date}, {""Open"", type number}, {""High"", type number}, {""Low"", type number}, {""Close*"", type number}, {""Adj Close**"", type number}, {""Volume"", Int64" & _
        ".Type}})" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "in" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"""
The following code, added above that line, deletes the existing Table_2 ListObject (table) and workbook query on the active sheet, allowing you to run the macro multiple times:
Code:
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table_2").Delete
    ActiveWorkbook.Queries("Table 2").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0
    ActiveSheet.Cells.Clear

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back