Shared Excel Database Advice

Kevin0427

Board Regular
Hey all, I am seeking some general advice from all those that have gone before me. I work in a small office with REALLY slow computers. I am working on a log that tracks work flow in the office. All should be able to see the current data and all should be able to update it as they complete work. I first tried a shared file. Then I ran into limitations (macros and tables). Then I tried a data connection and I am running into troubles with that too (updating and connecting in order and transferring data back and forth is getting complicated and glitchy). So I am looking at possibly doing a back end excel file with just the data and front ends that connect to it and update it. After all this trial and error am I finally on the right track? Is there a better and easier way to do this ?

Additionally, we do have OneDrive in the office. If I use that do I still need to "share" the file or does that happen automatically with OneDrive? Can more than one user open and use the backend data file at a time?

Thanks for all of you experience and advice in advance.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Personally, I would use Access. If you split the database to have a single central back-end that holds all the data, and front-end that you share with users (each user has their own copy), then multiple users can be accessing/updating it at the same time without issues.

Of course, that depends up on a few key items:
- Having Microsoft Access
- Having someone knowledgeable enough to build the database in Access

Access is not something that you can just pick up and create a well-designed database, if you have not had prior training/esperience in. There is a learning curve to it, and some "rules" that you should follow (i.e. "Rules of Normalization").

Upvote 0
Personally, I would use Access. If you split the database to have a single central back-end that holds all the data, and front-end that you share with users (each user has their own copy), then multiple users can be accessing/updating it at the same time without issues.

Of course, that depends up on a few key items:
- Having Microsoft Access
- Having someone knowledgeable enough to build the database in Access

Access is not something that you can just pick up and create a well-designed database, if you have not had prior training/esperience in. There is a learning curve to it, and some "rules" that you should follow (i.e. "Rules of Normalization").

I know access is better this is exactly why I am not using it. Learning curve to steep for this project.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back