The HDD from the old PC

Archangelos

I suppose this is the right forum for this topic, my apologies If I am mistaken.

The story (introduction)
Time came for some colleagues at work to get new computers. WinXP was obsolete by far. A new PC arrived with its own HDD and a not so old OS. The issue is: to transfer the files from the old PC to the new one.

The solved problem
I have a docking station in order to install an internal HDD via USB. The new computer had the C drive inside and the HDD from the old PC as drive D via USB. However, a user with no admin privileges could not get access to the profile folders od the external HDD.
The colleague gave me the HDD (of the old computer) and I connected it (using the docking station) to my PC, where I have admin privileges. Well, everything went well. We got access to all folders, job got done.

The question
A user with no admin privileges could not get access to profile folders even if the HDD was not the primary one.
How does this happen?

My conjecture is that the OS detects the presence of MBR in the external HDD and for that reason it restricts the access to non-admin users.

I wonder whether the purge of MBR could result in unrestricted access to non-admin users.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
The basic design is that the data should not be recoverable by non admin, and that the disk would have been known on the domain for admin recovery. Defeats the object if the encryption doesn't hold, that said many programs seem to have work arounds (non of which will be discussed here)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back