Database Normalisation

kindle

Hi All,

This question is specific to a particular programme so i figured this is the place to post it. Sorry if its the wrong forum.

I have a question about database normalisation, as far as i am aware normalisation is conducted primarily to prevent duplication. So if you had a table with 75 fields that were unique to each record there would no need to normalise the db? ie survey results, a participant answers all 75 questions.

Cheers

K

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
This depends on whether the list of questions is ever likely to change, or if you are conducting multiple surveys with some new and some repeating questions, or even repeating the survey with the original respondents. If the list of questions never changes and this is a one-time survey, then you may be right. However form, query and report design may prove far easier if you have the questions in their own table, i.e. 75 rows instead of 75 columns. You would then use an intermediate table with a many-to-many relationship between the respondents and questions to store the survey details and results.
Andrew

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies! I was just wondering what the best approach is. Have a great weekend!

K

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back