Dynamically link Excel to Word - (paste as link wont fit need)

cjc155

Board Regular
Hi there,

Curious if anyone knows how to better dynamically link Excel to word. When you paste as link, the range of the cells linked is fixed in the word doc. So, for example, should you add a row in the excel table, the word document will not automatically update. I have tried pasted as link a named range but word doesn't let me.

Basically, want to managed all adds/edits/deletes of data in an excel spreadsheet but have it automatically linked to word where there is other text/screenshots. Thanks for the help - C

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi cjc155,
should you add a row in the excel table, the word document will not automatically update
Not if you know how!
I have tried pasted as link a named range but word doesn't let me
OK, you've got a named range in Excel. That's a good start. So, paste the linked range into Word in the normal manner. Then, press Alt-F9 to expose the field code(If you've pasted as a linked Excel object, it may be formated as a floating object - you'll need to temporarily change that to 'in-line with text'). You'll see something like:
Code:
{LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\User\\Documents\\xlWkbk.xls" "Sheet1!R1C1:R10C10" \a \r}
where "Sheet1!R1C1:R10C10" is the linked range. Simply replace that reference with the named range's name. Press F9, then Alt-F9 again, when you're done. From now on, if you redefine the named range, the linked object will expand/contract to match.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I will give that a shot but looks like I am all set. Thanks again - C

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back