Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the info. How hard is it to set up a Excel Web Part using Sharepoint?

I may start a separate thread for this, but I will investigate this also. I am producing a spreadsheet that we will need to enable on the web.

Many thanks and have a great weekend!

Kurt

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hello Banashark,

Thanks for the info. It is amazing to me how many people have stumbled onto this old post.

If it helps someone solve a problem or give them better information, then that makes it all worthwhile!

Have a good one!

Kurt

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Old thread, but surprisingly still relevant. Has anyone tried [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]URS Translator™ for Excel ([/FONT]www.exceltranslator.com/)? I've contacted there support to try and get a hold of the trial myself, but in the meantime wanted to check with you guys if I was wasting my time?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not heard of it before but they don't seem keen to tell you how much it will cost!

Upvote 0
I have recently tried out the trial version of Calc4Web which turns spreadsheets into xll and dll. However, I was more interested in its claimed ability to compile VBA. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I could not get the trial version to compile code that contained anything more complicated than simple arithmetic - despite claims to the contrary by the developers. Thinking it might just be a limitation of the trial version I contacted their support who asked me to send them a sample of VBA code that I could not get compiled. I did just that but that's where the interest and help stopped. <o:p></o:p>
Eventually though I received this email:
<o:p></o:p>
“Hi. Last week you tried out Calc4Web, Savvysoft's groundbreaking product that converts Excel spreadsheets to C++, and then compiles it into DLLs, XLL addins and Web Services. This makes your spreadsheets portable to any other platform (including the Web), and at the same time makes your spreadsheets safer, and more secure. <o:p></o:p>
Calc4Web is the single most valuable tool you can use with Microsoft Excel.<o:p></o:p>
So the question is: Why haven't you bought it yet?”
I replied as follows:
“The answer is: I could not get the trial version to compile VBA that is any more complicated than simple arithmetic. If the reason for this is purely a limitation of the trial version I would like to know. On that basis I might be prepared to buy Calc4Web, make further tests of the VBA compilation using the full version and if it still doesn't work as promised get my money back within 30 days.<o:p></o:p>
But how good is the 30-day money back guarantee?<o:p></o:p>
..... requested I send him some sample VBA code that would not compile.<o:p></o:p>
I did that on 27 September but I am still waiting for feedback.<o:p></o:p>
In the absence of any feedback I have to conclude that even the full version of Calc4Web will not compile my VBA code (which is not very complicated).<o:p></o:p>
I have another suggestion: Give me a second trial of Calc4Web but this time send me some actual examples of VBA code that do compile.”<o:p></o:p>
So far no reply to my email. Calc4Web is so expensive that even with a 30-day ‘money back guarantee’ it seems risky to buy the product before obtaining some better assurance that it will perform as promised.<o:p></o:p>
So if anyone is an actual user of Calc4Web and can tell me about its VBA conversion capabilities I would very much like to hear from you.<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Old thread, but surprisingly still relevant. Has anyone tried [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]URS Translator™ for Excel ([/FONT]www.exceltranslator.com/)? I've contacted there support to try and get a hold of the trial myself, but in the meantime wanted to check with you guys if I was wasting my time?

Thanks!
I tried this last month. After installation I could not get it to work at all on my PC. Support was responsive and suggested several fixes but none of them worked. After wasting a lot of time I eventually just gave up.

Upvote 0
Good to hear... LockXLS support has been outstanding.
Well documented change logs and their price seems fair for a commercial product. The XLtoEXE has some unique features and is worth taking a look at too.

I can also vouch for the excellent customer service of LockXLS and the product does exactly what I expected. After a few hours of testing it I wasted no time in placing an order. The best thing about it for me is that it handles linked workbooks. None of the other products I have tried (eg DoneEx, Calc4web) can do that.

Upvote 0
I have been looking for some workbook copy protection software and found many good words that were said here about LockXLS.

I was about to purchase this software, but then I have stumbled on this thread http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232464

WhiteHatXL declares that he can recover an original workbook from any solution protected by LockXLS. I thought this was a bad joke and have sent to him a test workbook protected with LockXLS, and guess what?!, I’ve got my original workbook back! No protection at all!!, only my .xlsm file, and everything is available, as formulas, as vba code!

I can also vouch for the excellent customer service of LockXLS and the product does exactly what I expected.
Just curious, how can the excellent customer service help when you find your original workbook on “rapidshare” or “pirate bay”?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back