Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

ive used DoneEx and it was capable of doing what i wanted. there are two versions available, one with and the other without hardware locking. i got the cheap one and wrote my own hardware lock in a few lines.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
I'm still following this old thread. It does look like some devs are getting close, but nothing firm.

Baler was a standalone executable and all code was unreadable, couldn't be decompiled and couldn't be cracked or unlocked.

The interface was that of an application, not a speadsheet. Yes, you could view certain parts as spreadsheet. However, you programmed the choice yourself.

We need something like a Baler spreadsheet compiler package to put some sanity into the complexity we are all working with daily. I wonder how many of you are like me. I have to work with dumbed down American workers with the technology I provide. Most of these people hold degress from well known universities.

Our education system has totally failed the youth of America. The young people I have to work with are totally amazed that some old bird like me knows such much.

Sadly, our young people get nothing from their embecile educators in a completely broken system. We need tools to make complicated things simple for the current competency levels of people, and that's a fact. :oops:

Upvote 0
You may or may not be correct about education standards, but I trust you can see the irony of misspelling a rant about them. ;)

Upvote 0
Wow keep the responses coming.

I always learn on here.

It amazes me that posts are still coming up on this question after so much time.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Keep on Excelling!

Upvote 0
You may or may not be correct about education standards, but I trust you can see the irony of misspelling a rant about them. ;)

I do make spelling errors, but usually they are typo errors that I just don't go back and correct. I realize there are some spelling errors in the commented posting. I'm just not going to spell check, review and review twice for a simple forum posting.

You made one great example --->

Mark Twain said, "I don't give a **** for a man that can only spell a word one way.

<DT class=quote><DT class=quote>I recall recently reading a sophomore college student's essay for a creative writing course. Interestingly, the professor had every little language and spelling error marked. The paper was downgraded because of the "extremely important" errors. The sad part is... the content of a creative writing topic was negated.<DT class=quote><DT class=quote>I read the paper, and the content was creative and well developed. <DT class=quote><DT class=quote>To my way of thinking, Mark Twain was correct. It's about communication, not demeaing criticism of every little language error.<DT class=quote><DT class=quote>Too long students have been made to believe grammatical and spelling incorrectness deserves contempt from the reader. This is how people are being taught in the schools and universities. You see it all the time on forums... many people don't make postings, because of their language skills. How many times have I read some respondent reply, "you can't spell, you don't know how to make a proper sentence,etc."
I try to spell correctly, I watch my commas, etc. Yet, I really don't give a twit as long as I've explained well enough for readers to understand me.

<DT class=quote><DT class=quote><DT class=quote>
</DT>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ive used DoneEx and it was capable of doing what i wanted. there are two versions available, one with and the other without hardware locking. i got the cheap one and wrote my own hardware lock in a few lines.

Diddi, can you kindly share the hardware lock code you've written and a short summary of how it works? Also, did you use VBA code or compile it in another language?

Upvote 0
Code:
? DriveSerialNumber("C")
returns the serial number of the C drive.
Code:
Function DriveSerialNumber(sDriveSpec As String) As Long
    ' Returns the serial number of the specified drive
    ' sDriveSpec argument can be
    '   o   a drive letter with optional colon and path separator ("C", "C:", "C:\")
    '   o   a network share specification ("[URL="file://\\computer2\share1"]\\computer2\share1[/URL]")
    ' Returns 0 if not found

On Error Resume Next
    DriveSerialNumber = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetDrive(sDriveSpec).SerialNumber
End Function

You can encrypt that number and see if it matches, for example, a named constant in the workbook.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks, I totally understand the Function code. I don't mean to show my ignorance, but I don't understand this:
Code:
? DriveSerialNumber("C")
I typed it into VBA amd it was converted to:
Code:
Print DriveSerialNumber("C")
But when I executed the code, a VBA error resulted. What does the '?' stand for and what am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
It's what you'd enter in the Immediate window for instant gratification. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back