Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Casperando or Jasperando (as on other websites), I've looked through your posts on different websites - all of them are anti-LockXLS. You looks like a "virtual" person used to post SPAM on the forums.

LockXLS fixed all security issues, so if you are a "real" person you can use the product - it is much more better then similar software on the market. It is proven by amount of competitors' posts about LockXLS on the different download sites. If you have any questions - you are welcome.

Upvote 0
I realize this is an old thread - but a very interesting one - It seems there is still no real "product" to protect your code - both from an intellectual property rights POW as well as copy protection POW - I would be interested to hear if anybody has new info.

http://www.datasafexl.com/protect-vba-code.htm - any comments on this one

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i see that someone asked about hardware locking code i mentioned... is it still of interest? if so i can dig it up from the old project i used it in.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone!

This certainly seems to be an issue that has created some interest. Seems to be a valuable problem to solve that nobody has quite cracked yet. I thought I would give my perspective since I've been trying to secure an Excel workbook that my the operations of our small business are based on (www.bar-i.com in case you're interested. We provide liquor inventory services to bars).

Background: I used to work in banking and so am pretty proficient in excel and self taught in VBA. Two years ago I joined a friend in his start-up business and we now have a successful small business which is based upon an excel application which allows us to provide inventory services to bars and restaurants. As we grow we need to allow employees to use the excel application but are concerned they can simply steal the application from us.

After some research, I purchased XL Safe Pro which is an excel add-in from a company called DatasafeXL. The cost of the full license was $300.

Implementation: Generally the product seems well designed and is a useful tool. The problem I have is that I'm having significant trouble making the add-in work correctly with my particular spreadsheet since it's so large and complex (the workbook I'm trying to protect is 7MB when blank and 9MB when 'loaded' with data. It is basically half of the application and has to be loaded with data from a 'source' workbook and then is used as an engine for the different workbook that performs the reporting function). I have had a lot of back and forth with via email with the support team but after various suggestions and fixes, I am unable to resolve two remaining issues. Initially the support was helpful but after perhaps 10 contacts with them their answer is now 'these questions are outwith the scope of our support'. I am currently trying to have them answer my questions or pay them to help me solve the issues via a webmeeting.

Summary: XL Safe Pro seems like a good product but is difficult to implement on very complex spreadsheets. At this point the support doesn't exactly seem 'unlimited' as the site suggests. I will make a further post to describe what outcome I come to but at the moment I seem to be joining the chorus that agrees there is no ideal solution to securing your excel spreadsheets.

Jamie

Upvote 0
Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Could you elaborate on what specific types of problems you are experiencing and where XL Safe Pro is falling short?

The reason I am asking is because I, too, am working on a large, complex workbook/app that I will want to secure when completed. Your post alludes to the fact that XL Safe Pro isn't working correctly, but what exactly does that mean? Is it working at all? If so, what is it NOT doing that it should be? You also mention the size of your workbook may be a contributing factor. Why? I'm stumped as to why the size of the file would be a factor. Or is it the complexity of your workbook? Again, I'm curious as to what IS working correctly and what IS NOT. What is XL Safe Pro able to handle and not handle?

Finally, after dropping $300 on the license, if XL Safe Pro isn't doing what it is supposed to, will they refund you? Customer service and warranty is an important purchasing factor for me.

Please keep us posted so others may learn from your experiences and I hope you're able to find a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back