Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

Hey Calikid,

Pleased to make the the acquaintance of someone who's trying to solve a similar problem!

Here is some more detail on the problems I've experienced:

Solved issues:
1. Xl Safe Pro limits some of the functions of excel in order for it to work. I therefore had to make some significant changes to the VBA code I wrote which performs 'loading' functions etc. Specifically you cannot change the worksheet structure of a protected sheet. Previously I had a number of worksheets which were hidden within the workbook. The macros used to unhide these sheets and load them. I resolved this issue simply by making all worksheets visible and hope to rely on the add-in to ensure they are not changed by the user.

2. Not allowed to 'save as'. Another problem I had was the need to save the workbook 'save as' for purposes of version control. 'Save as' is another function which is limited by the add-in. I solved this problem by writing code which would allow the user to run a macro which performed a 'save as' operation and this worked.

3. Cannot run macros unless they have keyboard shortcuts. Some of the macros used in my workbook didn't initially have keyboard shortcuts to run them and users would simply select the macro they wanted to run from the run macro window. This was easy to fix as I simply recorded keyboard shortcuts for every macro I need to run.

Unresolved issues:

4. Unexpected protection of cells: Per the XL Safe documentation, I am using the workbook using the 'manual protection' mode which should allow me to select the protection settings for individual cells. I have a problem however in one worksheet where the cells unexpectedly become protected after a copy/ paste operation which loads the workbook with data. Thus far I have not received any helpful suggestions from email support. This morning I changed the code that is performing the copy/ paste operation to paste special values. This has solved the problem of the cells becoming protected unexpectedly but seems to have created changed other functions in the spreadsheet (I haven't fully understood this yet).

5. Cannot share the workbook: Thus far I have been focusing on making the workbook function as desired on my own computer (which has the Xl Safe license). Last week when I tried to share the protected workbook with a colleague, it crashed excel everytime he tried to open it (we are both on excel 2003). Obviously I can't provide the authorization code for the workbook when he can't even open the thing!

That's where I'm at with this. I'll be sure to post any significant developments.

Jamie

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Jamie,

Thanks for the detailed follow-up. I'm responding fairly late in the evening, so I'll have to keep this fairly brief, but I did want to share some thoughts.

First, it sounds like some of your solutions are really more accommodations for limitations of XL Safe Pro. I'm not sure how they can call it an add-in when it takes away some of Excel's native functions. Kind of an oxymoron! For example, the first issue (sounds like the inability to unhide a hidden spreadsheet) is problematic for me because I routinely rely on hiding and unhiding spreadsheets in my workbook. Making them visible isn't a viable option because, well, I don't want them visible (for security reasons)! :LOL:

I'm not quite as far along as you in that I haven't actually chosen a product yet to secure my workbook. I'm still finalizing some things, but the day is coming soon when I will need some sort of a security solution. I will not be a happy camper if some of my hard work code doesn't work or I have to rework my code in order to make the plug-in happy. So, thank you - your product review is very helpful in helping me get a real-life experience because we all know their marketing hype makes their products sound like they're simply amazing in every regard.

Excel is a great program and I am trying to take full advantage of its features. If the plug-in invalidates or prevents some features from being used, then it's really not a very good solution.

Please keep me informed as to any news. When I get to selecting and testing a product, I will do the same.

Upvote 0
I'm still following this old thread. It does look like some devs are getting close, but nothing firm.

Baler was a standalone executable and all code was unreadable, couldn't be decompiled and couldn't be cracked or unlocked.

The interface was that of an application, not a speadsheet. Yes, you could view certain parts as spreadsheet. However, you programmed the choice yourself.

We need something like a Baler spreadsheet compiler package to put some sanity into the complexity we are all working with daily. I wonder how many of you are like me. I have to work with dumbed down American workers with the technology I provide. Most of these people hold degress from well known universities.

Our education system has totally failed the youth of America. The young people I have to work with are totally amazed that some old bird like me knows such much.

Sadly, our young people get nothing from their embecile educators in a completely broken system. We need tools to make complicated things simple for the current competency levels of people, and that's a fact. :oops:

E X A C T L Y AS STATED ABOVE. Somebody help us, Please. We need a Baler type solution to Excel today! We are not programmers. We are "end users" who can get our applications defined and operational in a spreadsheet, but want it converted into a standalone program which can be protected and sold to other end users.

Upvote 0
Hello Dab21,

I TOTALLY AGREE EXACTLY AS STATED ABOVE AGAIN. This younger generation isn't help us or themselves. Our educations system sucks from the liberal garbage it is being fed. This last election proved it!

Try this compiler. I have seen it used when I have purchased spreadsheets beore.

HTH

DoneEx, Home of Excel Compiler

It still amazes me how many people find this old post.

That is why I love Mr. Excel so much!

KUDOS Mr Bill Jelen et al!

Upvote 0
Code:
? DriveSerialNumber("C")
returns the serial number of the C drive.
Code:
Function DriveSerialNumber(sDriveSpec As String) As Long
    ' Returns the serial number of the specified drive
    ' sDriveSpec argument can be
    '   o   a drive letter with optional colon and path separator ("C", "C:", "C:\")
    '   o   a network share specification ("[URL="file://\\computer2\share1"]\\computer2\share1[/URL]")
    ' Returns 0 if not found

On Error Resume Next
    DriveSerialNumber = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetDrive(sDriveSpec).SerialNumber
End Function

You can encrypt that number and see if it matches, for example, a named constant in the workbook.

I can get the function to work, and know what to do with the results, but a friend said that he can change the drive serial number so that he can have two computers with the same drive serial number, but suggested that I should use the MAC address of the network card that can't be changed. How would you revise the above function to have it call up the MAC address instead of the drive serial number?

Upvote 0
Is LockXLS still considered not fit for purpose?

Also - and perhaps this is threadjacking, but other users wanting to secure their Excel "apps" they are developing must have similar requirements, Do any of these programs allow you to easily send out updated code to a user so that the functionality of the VBA changes, but the spreadsheet data and formulas remain the same?

Upvote 0
Is LockXLS still considered not fit for purpose?

Also - and perhaps this is threadjacking, but other users wanting to secure their Excel "apps" they are developing must have similar requirements, Do any of these programs allow you to easily send out updated code to a user so that the functionality of the VBA changes, but the spreadsheet data and formulas remain the same?

I can't speak for others, but in my case we have the ability to save and subseqently open data files separately that read in the information, so there is no need to worry about that issue. Of course, the user would need to save their data and not just assume it will populate the updated template. My use is also somewhat unique in that it is just a step in designing road signs, so once the user has their sign, they probably don't need to keep the excel data for an extended period.

Upvote 0
I've been looking into this, and have found these options:
Code:
 donnex
lockxls
calc4web
With Excel 2013, you have the apps functionality (which are basically embedded webpages). However, they have the ability to interact with the workbook. So if you wanted to convert or develop your work as Excel based "application", maybe this could be a 3-pronged approach:

• Interface (front-end) - Excel 2013+ APP for charts, or even form elements and so on.
• Code (back-end) - Compile in C# or C++ as a .DLL via Visual Studio?
• optional - donnex or lockxls for modern licensing features, encryption keys, trials, splash screen and so on?

I would imagine this would make it difficult to rip-off your product. The core of the VBA is gone, and even the front end items cannot directly be re-created. Plus, you add-on the typical commercial product features making the file executable, and so on.'

I'm just thinking out loud and have not done any of this. Just research and talking points / ideas. I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone could confirm or refute doing this. Or experience using the above mentioned programs.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. The project has taken a back seat to more immediatley paying work. I have been working 12 hours day at my day job as a civil engineer for the last year or so.

The bigger priacy issue isn't so much the VBA code in the spreadsheet as the fonts I created to go with the program. A customer may only need one copy of the program, but will need fonts for every CAD station that would use the resulting drawing. My concern is that customers will buy one copy of the program and fonts, and then install the fonts on 5 - 10 computers. So far no one has provided a reasonable way to secur the fonts without making it overly cumbersome on the user. It appears that Adobe and other font creators use the honor system knowing that many people aren't honest, but hoping to make it up in volume. To move on with the project I probably will need a complete rewrite to move it out of Excel, but I will have to learn a new language first. The project started as an in-house program and I used what I knew at the time. From there it just continued to grow and evolve.

Thanks again,
Brad

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know, old thread. I thought I'd just report that I'm able to run lotus 123 R23 and Baler (for Dos) in "DosBox", and they seem to work fine. Windows 7 64. Now I need to dig out my old manuals and re-learn how to user that old version of Baler again, specifically Balerdrw, Customiz, etc. This should be fun. :) Still can't get Visual Baler to run in Windows 7 64 Home.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back