Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

Sorry to necro this thread, but been following it for quite a few years now, as have others.

Any thoughts on this product ?

xlCompiler - Compile Spreadsheet to Application

claims to compile to .exe and support VBA.

I've run some simple spreadsheets, seems to do what it says on the tin on simple sheets. Although it did fail to recognise some simple functions, (poisson and gammaln), not a biggee as these are fairly easy to recreate either on the sheet or on the code.

Anyone have any experience with this software ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
any comments on the lockXLS on its copy protection? I haven't used it before but am interested in it.

Upvote 0
Here are two additional options. While they're not compilers, they will protect your VBA:

• Unviewable+
Unviewable+ VBA for Excel PowerPoint Word AutoCAD Visio - Spreadsheet1 | Excel in your office!
• Secure++
Secure++ VBA Compiler for Microsoft Office Excel - Spreadsheet1 | Excel in your office!

Multiple layers of protection strengthen security. So you can prevent your code from being viewed (unviewable), and obfuscate (secure++) in the unlikely? event the protection is broken.

Other free alternative options for obfuscation include:

• Invisible Basic: Invisible Basic
• CrunchCode (no longer supported): CrunchCode – the obfuscator for VBA macros

Upvote 0
I, too, am looking for an effective spreadsheet compiler in order to protect VBA code of apps that may well become commercial products. They are heavy on macros and database connections, so need to survive the compilation process.

I tried xlCompiler, which as suggested before, was a long way short of requirements. However, it ran without needing to open Excel, which is something that would be desirable to remove that dependency. LockXLS also seems to have problems with database connections and queries but otherwise seems to be an improvement on xlCompiler, although it does require that the user have Excel. The likes of Unviewable+ and Secure++ don't seem to fulfill all of the requirements I have of a spreadsheet compiler.

DoneEx has a trojan lurking within its files, so that's obviously a non-starter and strongly recommend nobody use it. Luckily I have sufficient anti-virus measures to ensure it was picked up before it infecting anything of my system.

Is there ANY spreadsheet compiler out there that can do everything I intend?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Nd. Is there another way of getting the Resource Editor add-in for Excel without downloading Visual Studio? As I don't think downloading/buying VS is really an option on this system unless its the Community version and it somehow has that?

PS: I use Excel 2016 on this system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no idea re. "another way of getting the Resource Editor add-in for Excel without downloading Visual Studio". I just know my copy of VB6 was "free". Not sure that this approach would help U anyways. U still need office installed. U can use VB6 to install and operated the XL wb. From VB6, U can insert sensitive formulas etc. into the wb on open and then remove them before saving the wb. U can also place your sensitive macros within the VB6 code to effect changes on the wb. U can also operate the wb with userform only access so as to prevent users accessing the wb during operation. The utility of this approach depends upon what U want to do. The wb file may or may not remain in the file directory depends on whether U need to store data within the wb. Anyways, there's some interesting stuff at the link below. Have a nice day. Dave

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?10592-Solved-How-to-create-a-DLL-via-VBA-editor

Upvote 0
And a resurrection one more time for this thread - Has anyone found THE product that works as anticipated for an Excel Compiler? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back