Excel Spreadsheet Compiler?

domineaux

I'm looking for an excel spreadsheet compiler software. I had one called Baler XE that worked magic with Lotus spreadsheets for DOS. It compiled spreadsheets into small run executable programs. All the formulas and the spreadsheet were concealed within the code. This made the code tamperproof as well.

I do consulting work and spreadsheets are fine for techie types, but I constantly have clients that want to input and report data with a very simple page... but the spreadsheet might be 10 or 12 pages. The large number of pages, linking and routing users through them is a difficult learning process for users.

Also, sad to say, after several years of not working with a particular customers spreadsheets I am at a memory loss. I can't for the life of me figure out what I've done in many cases.

Looking around I did find an Excel to Java thing, which would be fine for use on a webpage. I'm thinking of a standalone executable type program I can build, put on a CD and send to them. This way they could pop in the CD and run the program... very simple.

I found a program that compiles Excel, but the user would be required to have excel. Excel is so inexpensive now that shouldn't be a problem, but the user still has to learn Excel and I'm thinking if it requires Excel it's basically just a better protection mechanism for the spreadsheet.

Further there appears to be a program call Excel translator, but the site has no pricing of the product. That is a big indicator I can't afford it. LOL

I'm a consultant to small mom & pop type businesses and there is no way I can justify a pricey, sophisticated software.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better place to inquire... so I sure hope some of you can give me some pointers, links or something. I've done the day so far googling, and my results have not been good.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Sorry to say it, but no.

Honestly, I can't understand why someone hasn't made one. The old version I had was BALER XE for Lotus/DOS. It was awesome. I could create very complex spreadsheets, compile them into a run executable application.

The little programs created were small, needed no installation. At that time I put some extremely complex little applications onto floppy disk.
The users would access them by the name, i.e., breakeven.exe.

This way neophytes and very poorly educated people run the little programs easily. All the compliled code was not decompilable. In other words it would have taken some kind of world class code guru to ever hack the little programs. Mostly, no need to worry about anyone making the effort to hack such a small application program.

As a finanical consultant I could put together a package of little(spreadsheet) programs for different people run use within a company. I had all kinds of small programs for use by warehouse men, delivery drivers, controllers, sales people, etc. I mean it was great. The programs were all special use. No access to workstations or links to the server, or P2P arrangements were required.

If the user has a laptop or an old standalone computer the little programs worked.

Today, these little programs could really be powerful. Back then we were running 128K memory. Think about it. You could build a monstrous database application with Excel, and compile it into one of these small progams. You could put all kinds of proprietary information within the spreadsheet, i.e., a complete telephone and contact directory of customers. The list wouldn't be updated, except with a new copy of the little compiled program.

Anyway.. sad to say. I quit looking. I have put up a similar posting before on this site, but no responses.

:cool:

Upvote 0
I've spent some time today looking on the net. Found a couple of compilers that might work. XCEL compiler 1.9.3 is one of them. the other is exceltranslator. The later I got a quote on for $4900. But it has a free 14 day trial. I'm going to try it out this week. The other not sure if it will work but it was free.

Upvote 0
I've spent some time today looking on the net. Found a couple of compilers that might work. XCEL compiler 1.9.3 is one of them. the other is exceltranslator. The later I got a quote on for $4900. But it has a free 14 day trial. I'm going to try it out this week. The other not sure if it will work but it was free.

I thought about the old DOS days when you mentioned the 4900.00 above. I remember buying some of the expensive software and it was buggy. The way around it was to buy the support package and it was close to highway robbery.

In fact, I was using main frame computers at work and the stuff we bought was buggier than the retail software I bought. It was all about paying for the support and maintenance packages.

Ross Perot would actually put teams of people into your company full time. You got to pay him (EDS) of course. EDS had an accounting package using business basic, what a hoot. They basically built it on the fly within your business. It was awful, and the only way they kept it working was to inject a team of people into your business.

------------------------------------

One noteworthy comment for your trivia archive. Ross Perot sold EDS to General Motors. Ross indicated that GM was run by educated embeciles, and common sense was outside of their arrongant understanding.

So, I think the US government putting money into the Auto industry without mandates and changes at the top... big mistake. Ole Ross has always been very competent at calling a spade a spade.

Good luck, but I wouldn't waste 4900.00 on that software. I'd just use the one that requires Excel to be installed on the users computer. I imagine it is just reading the macros from the software and the data and operators from Excel.

Good luck

Upvote 0
I tried on of the trial versions last night. It worked in the since that you can't see the programs and it did make it a exe program. You can save the data but it only saves it as a exe extension and made the program 3 times as big. It still looks and acts like excel. Only think is I can do the same thing with protection and passwords. I can't make it a exe extension though.

As this program will be distrubuted on one of our products I'll probably have it converted to VBA or C++ in the long run anyway. It sure would be nice though if I could get it to compile into a program that made it look like a stand alone program.

Your right about Ross. Very smart man. He should be running GM and the rest. We'd have tanks that got great gas mileage and could still whip anybodys ***.

Upvote 0
You might want to have a look at this site. I've heard some good reports of it, and it's free. No personal experience though.

Upvote 0
Hello Domineaux and all,

You wrote:

Code:
One noteworthy comment for your trivia archive. Ross Perot sold EDS to General Motors. Ross indicated that GM was run by educated embeciles, and common sense was outside of their arrongant understanding.

So, I think the US government putting money into the Auto industry without mandates and changes at the top... big mistake. Ole Ross has always been very competent at calling a spade a spade.

Good luck, but I wouldn't waste 4900.00 on that software. I'd just use the one that requires Excel to be installed on the users computer. I imagine it is just reading the macros from the software and the data and operators from Excel.

I totally agree with you on this one. Same old people same old mistakes. I saw the same thing with Lucent in New Jersey in 2000 when the idiots hired the same ole AT&T managers! What a major, major mistake!

I am sure everyone who used DOS remembers Quattro Pro. It could crunch numbers fast and it did have its day in the sun. I am wondering if there might be a similar compiler out there based on those algorithims for Excel?

Any thoughts?

Kurt

Upvote 0
Here's another interesting find:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/MS_Office_Add-ins/DoneEx_XCell_Compiler.html

This is shareware and it is only $49!

http://www.download3k.com/Business-...e/Download-Bizpep-PL-Compiler-MYOB-Excel.html

$33 for this one.

This one appears rather interesting it has a dongle to protect your intellectual property on a spreadsheet and is a compiler:

http://www.keylok.com/downloads/KEYLOK_Donex_info.pdf?src=keydon3

If anyone tests these I would like to know your feedback.

Kurt

Upvote 0
DoneEX hides spreadsheet formulas elsewhere (happens to be an exe) but you're still running the spreadsheet in Excel. It does not appear to do anything with VBA, and it still uses Excel at runtime.

Most of the products mentioned are about hiding formulas, but not recreating the look and feel of Excel in a separate executable as Baler did.

Calc4Web (full disclosure: we develped this product) will get you partway to Balerville: the logic of the sheets, and VBA calculations (though not macros) can be converted to C++ dlls,which can then be called from say a VB GUI. A simple VB gui is also created which just creates a simple form which prompts for inputs and displays a result, which is not the look and feel of the spreadsheet, but functional for calculations. A full fledged app with graphics and buttons would require hand coding for the UI but you'd save time because the dll with all the calculation logic would be done, so at least you're saved half the work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back