Frustration Plus Plus. Excel Crash on Save As... Word too...

Ticcer

Hi all. I've had this issue for a few weeks now. Dunno why it started but I finally uninstalled office 2010 totally, cleaned my system, then reinstalled. Everything worked fine. I ran all the updates, Sp1, and others from the Micky$haft update site, and now I'm back to the same problem.

I see all sorts of solutions online to do with printer selection, COM addons, etc, etc. I've tried them all, and nothing works to abate the problem that I can find. It's obviously one of the updates that is causing it, which one, I don't know, but it is mighty frustrating and is holding up my work in a major way.

Sometimes I get a message to do with initializing places or some such thing... I can't rightly remember, but others have had the same this pop up too. Suggested solutions to that regarding network issues as Excel tries to index all possible locations, don't seem to apply. Besides, I don't operate a home network.

The issue occurs when I open a document too... Excel and Word... the programs just stop responding before the file dialogue gets a chance to pop up.

Anyone have any ideas or know what the issue is??

Cheers

Ticcer

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Problem:

Office Applications, Excel, Word, Powerpoint... maybe others... not tested... crash when opening or saving a file. The applications enter a 'Not Responding' state when saving or opening a file from the File tab on the ribbon.

I think I found the problem... Update KB2553260 (mso2010-kb2553260-fullfile-x86-glb.exe)!!

Method: I uninstalled office 2010 Pro. Ran RegVac to clean the registry, rebooted, reinstalled office 2010 Pro. Tested Excel. Works!. Installed Office 2010 SP1: Works. Went to Windows Update and manually downloaded all 27 High Priority Office 2010 updates and numbered them in the order they appeared in the update list.

There are actually 28 updates for Office 2010 at this stage, but one of them does not appear under High Priority and I have not downloaded the Non High Priority Update for this test. However, I had previously updated Office 2010 Pro via automatic update so that there were no more updates to install, and the problem was present. Hence my attempt to find out which update caused the problem.

I began installing the High Priority updates 1 by 1, loaded Excel, and tested the 'save as' function, then closed the app if successful and moved to the next update.

Conclusion:

It appears that update KB2553260 causes the problem, as after installation, the problem presents itself, and when I uninstall the update via 'Add and Remove Programs', the problem disappears.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening??

Cheers.

Ticcer

Upvote 0
Are you installing 32-bit or 64-bit Office?
ξ

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw that. Still wanted to be sure.

Upvote 0
Dunno why it started but I finally uninstalled office 2010 totally, cleaned my system, then reinstalled
Okay, so why did you do this in the first place? Was there some other problem already present? And exactly what does "cleaning the system" mean?

Upvote 0
No other problem was already present. I've been real busy with other stuff, so I've not used Office for a while, save for outlook. Cleaning my system means I ran CCleaner, and RegVac... Basically to ensure there were no lingering redundant registry issues or temp files that might be causing or attributing the problem... I wanted to get my system back to a state, as if office had never been installed.

I uninstalled office because no other solution was forthcoming after 4 weeks of this issue plaguing me, and I need to get some invoices done, etc, etc. I also read on one of the many sites I looked at for a solution that re-installing office might solve the issue. Mind you, the person who received that advice said it made no difference. Basically, I followed every bit of advice I could find on this or similar issues, and nothing worked, so I took matters into my own hands. I'm not a novice at installing software, windows, office or any other program, and what I described above seemed like the best thing to do under the circumstances.

I hope that helps.

Besides, I can repeat the installation of the update in question and repeat the issue, and then uninstall the update and solve it again. Also, my 32-bit XP installation is all up to date. I'm still running a single core AMD 3700+ with 2GB RAM from 2005, and all my software is legitimate.

The closest thing I've found on MS to an acknowledgement of this or similar issue is this Description of the Office 2010 hotfix package (Mso-x-none.msp, Msores-x-none.msp): February 28, 2012, but it doesn't quite describe exactly my issue, although I have acquired the hotfix from that article, but not applied it.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Cheers,

Ticcer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back