PDF to Excel conversion - Impossible?

shanemarkley

I am trying to convert an 800 page PDF file into Excel so I can automatically update pricing information. I have tried a number of different sources and have not had any luck with this conversion. There are programs that will export the data into Excel applications, but it does not do it in a clean format. I have tried all of the basic applications that pop up from a basic Google search and have also tried converting it using the full version of Adobe Acrobat.

Here is a link to the PDF: ttp://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/product_management/Files/productCatalog.PDF

Once I convert that into an organized excel file, I am planning on writing a macro to have it automatically update a pricing field in an inventory spreadsheet. Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Yes,it is possible, I also used software to convert PDF to excel file sometimes. but before you proceed with the converted data (from PDF), you need to carefully check if there is some mistake inside, since the software may make some very stupid mistake. example, it doesn't know the difference betweeb letter "l" and number '1",0 and O, 4 and H...etc. and all the "number" shown in converted file is actually in "text" format, you need to use formula to change it to real "number" to be used for calculation.

I am using the software to convert the PDF file to excel file for you now, please advise your email by mine at {mod removed}, then I will send the converted file back to you once finish.

I am trying to convert an 800 page PDF file into Excel so I can automatically update pricing information. I have tried a number of different sources and have not had any luck with this conversion. There are programs that will export the data into Excel applications, but it does not do it in a clean format. I have tried all of the basic applications that pop up from a basic Google search and have also tried converting it using the full version of Adobe Acrobat.

Here is a link to the PDF: ttp://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/product_management/Files/productCatalog.PDF

Once I convert that into an organized excel file, I am planning on writing a macro to have it automatically update a pricing field in an inventory spreadsheet. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Ive always had issue with this sort of processing; hard to feel that extracting from pdf is 100% reliable.
I just ran it through pdftotxt from Xpdf
and got decent, vba-parsible, copy - except for they wrapped the product descriptions.

Upvote 0
Sorry, since your file has 801 pages, to ensure accuracy, I have to manually select the area for the software before start, it is really a time consuming task. i did sample converting by using 20 pages (also need to manually define the area), anything is ok except some minor issue.

I am using ABBYY PDF transformer 3.0.

Yes,it is possible, I also used software to convert PDF to excel file sometimes. but before you proceed with the converted data (from PDF), you need to carefully check if there is some mistake inside, since the software may make some very stupid mistake. example, it doesn't know the difference betweeb letter "l" and number '1",0 and O, 4 and H...etc. and all the "number" shown in converted file is actually in "text" format, you need to use formula to change it to real "number" to be used for calculation.

I am using the software to convert the PDF file to excel file for you now, please advise your email by mine at caabyyc@gmail.com, then I will send the converted file back to you once finish.

Upvote 0
Tweedle- could you send me a copy of the output from running it through the pdftotxt from Xpdf conversion tool? The product description is not necessarily needed for this project.

Caabyyc- thank you for looking into this. My email is

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back