Macro to open Powerpoint and paste ranges from Excel - Troubleshoot error in code
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro to open Powerpoint and paste ranges from Excel - Troubleshoot error in code
Thanks Thanks: 0 Likes Likes: 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Macro to open Powerpoint and paste ranges from Excel - Troubleshoot error in code

Please test this:

Code:
    Sub CreatePowerPoint()
    'Add a reference to the Microsoft PowerPoint Library by:
    '1. Go to Tools in the VBE menu
    '2. Click on Reference
    '3. Scroll down to Microsoft PowerPoint X.0 Object Library, check the box, and press Okay
    'First we declare the variables we will be using
    Dim newPowerPoint As PowerPoint.Application, activeSlide As PowerPoint.Slide
    Dim cht As Excel.ChartObject, pres As Presentation
    'Look for existing instance
    On Error Resume Next
    Set newPowerPoint = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
    newPowerPoint.Visible = True
    newPowerPoint.Presentations.Open "c:\pub\template2.potx"
    On Error GoTo 0
    Set pres = newPowerPoint.ActivePresentation
    Do While pres.Slides.Count > 1
        pres.Slides(pres.Slides.Count).Delete
    Loop
    'Loop through each chart in the Excel worksheet and paste them into the PowerPoint
    For Each cht In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
        'Add a new slide where we will paste the chart
        pres.Slides.Add pres.Slides.Count + 1, ppLayoutText
        newPowerPoint.ActiveWindow.View.GotoSlide pres.Slides.Count
        Set activeSlide = pres.Slides(pres.Slides.Count)
        'Copy the chart and paste it into the PowerPoint as a Metafile Picture
        cht.Select
        ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy
        activeSlide.Shapes.PasteSpecial(DataType:=ppPasteMetafilePicture).Select
        'Set the title of the slide the same as the title of the chart
        activeSlide.Shapes(1).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = cht.Chart.ChartTitle.Text
        'Adjust the positioning of the Chart on Powerpoint Slide
        newPowerPoint.ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.Left = 15
        newPowerPoint.ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.Top = 125
        activeSlide.Shapes(2).Width = 200
        activeSlide.Shapes(2).Left = 505
        'If the chart is the "Revlimid" consumption chart, then enter the appropriate comments
        If InStr(activeSlide.Shapes(1).TextFrame.TextRange.Text, "Revlimid") Then
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = Range("J7").Value & vbNewLine
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J8").Value & vbNewLine)
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J9").Value & vbNewLine)
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J10").Value & vbNewLine)
        'Else if the chart is the "Pomalyst" consumption chart, then enter the appropriate comments
        ElseIf InStr(activeSlide.Shapes(1).TextFrame.TextRange.Text, "Pomalyst") Then
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.Text = Range("J27").Value & vbNewLine
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J28").Value & vbNewLine)
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J29").Value & vbNewLine)
            activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.InsertAfter (Range("J30").Value & vbNewLine)
        End If
        activeSlide.Shapes(2).TextFrame.TextRange.Font.Size = 16    ' callout box
    Next
    pres.Slides(1).Delete
    AppActivate ("Microsoft PowerPoint")
    Set activeSlide = Nothing: Set newPowerPoint = Nothing
    pres.SaveAs "c:\pub\finaldeck.pptx"
    MsgBox "End of code!", vbInformation
    End Sub
    Excel 2013 / Windows 8.1 (home)
    Excel 2013 / windows 7 (work)

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Macro to open Powerpoint and paste ranges from Excel - Troubleshoot error in code

Hi Worf - Works like a charm! I really want to thank you again for all of your help on these various VBA codes. If you don't mind the challenge (both big and small) I will reply to this post if I run into a more problems. There are a few more things I am working on that may require some professional intervention! Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You are welcome!

If you don't mind the challenge
    I am always up for a challenge…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Last edited by Worf; Aug 1st, 2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: duplicated answer

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Worf - Question about an VBA error I get when I try to run that copy/paste from Excel to PP (single range). I copied the code from one Excel file to another one and changed the range I am trying to copy. When I run the macro I get an error message (Reads "Compile Error: User-Defined type not defined".) The code stops at Procedure 2 and the code that reads "mypres As PowerPoint.Presentation" is highlighted. I tried the code in the original Excel file and it runs all the way through with no problems, but when I copy the code to another file and try to run the code it does not work. Can you please disagnois and help me find the error in my ways? Code below in case you need it.

Sub CopyE2PP()
    Procedure1
    Procedure2
    MsgBox "Success!", 64
    End Sub

Sub Procedure1()
    Set objppt = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
    objppt.Visible = True
    objppt.Presentations.Open "M:\Forecasting\Models\2016\Data Summary\E2P\Blank.potx"
    End Sub

Sub Procedure2()

Dim rng As Range, mypres As PowerPoint.Presentation, mySlide As Object, myShape As Object

Set rng = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.[B1:N30]
    Set mypres = objppt.ActivePresentation
    Set mySlide = objppt.ActiveWindow.View.Slide

'Copy Excel Range
    rng.Copy

'Paste to PowerPoint and position
    mySlide.Shapes.PasteSpecial DataType:=2 '2 = ppPasteEnhancedMetafile
    Set myShape = mySlide.Shapes(mySlide.Shapes.Count)

'Set position:
    myShape.Left = 8
    myShape.Top = 100
    myShape.Width = 700
    myShape.Height = 400

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi

On the new file, set a reference at VBE>Tools>References>Microsoft PowerPoint Object Library.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Worf -

I did as you instucted and tried running the code again in that new Excel template. When I run the code now it opens up an instance of PP (all good so far) but it stops at the line "Set mypres = objppt,.ActivePresentation" and that line is highlighted in yellow. If it wasn't clear from my last post I am trying to make these marcos "portable" so I can simply copy them from one Excel file to another and change the range that I want to copy. I'd like to make the multiple range macro portable as well ... once we solve this issue I will likely need to apply the same fix to the other macro you worked on for me that copies multiple ranges.

Let me know what you think ... you said you like challenges!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi

1) The code below worked for me. What error number and message are you getting?
    2) Concerning portability, we can choose between early and late binding. See this page: Early vs. Late Binding

Code:
    ' Excel module
    Dim objppt As PowerPoint.Application

Sub CopyE2PP()
    Procedure1
    Procedure2
    MsgBox "Success!", 64
    End Sub

Sub Procedure1()
    Set objppt = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
    objppt.Visible = True
    objppt.Presentations.Open "c:\pub\template2.potx"
    End Sub

Sub Procedure2()
    Dim rng As Range, mypres As PowerPoint.Presentation, mySlide As Object, myShape As Object
    Set rng = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.[B1:N30]
    Set mypres = objppt.ActivePresentation
    Set mySlide = objppt.ActiveWindow.View.Slide
    rng.Copy
    'Paste to PowerPoint and position
    mySlide.Shapes.PasteSpecial DataType:=2 '2 = ppPasteEnhancedMetafile
    Set myShape = mySlide.Shapes(mySlide.Shapes.Count)
    'Set position:
    myShape.Left = 8
    myShape.Top = 100
    myShape.Width = 700
    myShape.Height = 400
    End Sub

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Worf - I'm glad I logged in .... I never received email notification that you responded to my last post. I thought you gave up on me! Let me try pasting in the code you sent that worked for you and I'll let you know what error message I get. Hopefully it will work. It's weird. The code runs beautifully when I run it in the original file that you helped me with back in July. But when I try to copy the code to a new Excel template and run the code it does not work. Let me try again now and I'll get back to you today or tomorrow. Thanks again for sticking around with this. Would love to discuss the early and late binding with you .... maybe you can tell me which one would work better based on how I plan to use the coding.

Board Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Worf - It worked! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong the first couple of times I tried it but it appears to be fine now. I opened a new Excel spreadsheet, set the reference to PP, and pasted in the code. It ran all the way through. Can you explain early vs. late binding? Upon reading the link you sent it appears the code I have is using early binding. If I understood the article correctly if I used late binding I would not have to worry about setting the reference to PP. Is that the key difference?

Some videos you may like

User Tag List

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others